Passing of the Canal Schooner.
The Oliver Mitchell Attracts Attention at Toledo
Fifteen Days Out With a Load of Anthracite From Oswego - Made Less Than a Mile an Hour in Her Progress Up the Lakes.
Toledo, Oct. 25. - If a rakish black-butted ship with the Jolly Roger flying from the mast-head and a fierce pirate captain shouting orders from the quarter-deck, had heaved to and dropped her anchors in the Maumee, it would not have attracted much more attention along the riverfront than did the berthing of the three-masted, fore-and-aft schooner Oliver Mitchell.
Fifteen days before she arrived off the Toledo outer harbor and was taken in tow by the tug Birchhead, the Oliver Mitchell set sail from Oswego for Toledo with 600 tons of anthracite coal for the Schenck Coal Company.
The sailing distance from port to port, including the passage through the Welland Canal, is about 400 miles, so the average day's progress was 27 miles, or not much more than a mile an hour. However, as the old ship was eight days in the canal and headwinds from the west prevailed when she was under wY, she sailed a distance much greater than 400 miles, beating first on one tack and ten on another, up two of the Great Lakes.
Captain William Huime and his mate own and sail the Oliver Mitchell. She was built for the late Edward and Oliver Mitchell by James Navagh thirty-three years ago, in 1874 in Algonac, Mich. She is 186 feet long, 25 feet beam, 11 feet depth, and her gross tonnage is 320.