FIVE DAYS ON A RAFT.
Fort William, Dec. 26th - News has just reached here of the wreck of barge No. 115, which has been missing for some time. The sailors say they left Two Harbors on December 10th, when the weather was fine. On the morning of the 11th the wind freshened, gradually increasing to a hurricane, when the tow line parted, and the barge went adrift for five days and a half, finally landing on Pic Island, where fortunately, they found an old shack, from which they obtained a few old spikes, or nails, with which they built a raft, taking them to Middleton, on the south shore of Lake Superior, where they arrived, after many hardships, on the morning of the 22nd. The colored cook had his feet frozen, and the crew is in destitute circumstances, having lost everything.
Dec. 27, 1899
p.1 Work For Ship Carpenters - Davis & Sons, shipbuilders, expect shortly to have a much larger number of men employed than at present. Several contracts will likely be awarded to them. T.S. Wheeler, Plainfield, Mass., will likely close a contract with this Kingston firm for the building of a houseboat sixty feet by seventeen. Mr. Wheeler at present owns the Naiad which is at Amherst Island. Another craft to be built by the spring is a knockabout and houseboat for George W. Davis, New York. Then the owner of the steamer Jubilee is likely to have a steamer built here for traffic between Prescott and Valleyfield. This boat would be one hundred feet by twenty. In Davis' dry dock at present the Rideau river steamer is well under way.
Dec. 28, 1899
p.2 Made A Last Trip - The steamer J.G. Nichols, Capt. A.R. Hinckley, cleared from this port yesterday for Cape Vincent with a load of pulp wood. This will probably be the last clearance of the season. The Nichols made one more trip than was expected. Her captain was prompted to do so by the prevailing fine weather.
Dec. 29, 1899
Dec. 30, 1899