Aug. 7, 1900
The Old Steamboat.
In reference to the old steamboat William IV, Hiram A. Calvin, Garden Island, writes us that the original boat of that name, built at Gananoque in 1832, was purchased by Messrs. Calvin and Cook, Garden Island, from A. Jones, Prescott, in June, 1847, for 2,000 pds. currency $8,000. During eleven years she was used as a tug, and in 1858 her hull was placed on the west side of the marine railway, Garden Island, to serve as a breakwater, and all that is left of it lies there still. When the hull was placed as stated, the machinery was taken out, and in 1860 it was put into another hull which was called William, and used in that till 1876, when the engine and boiler were broken up for scrap at the Kingston foundry.
The William IV had four smoke stacks all the time she was in use. When the machinery was transferred to the William in 1860, some changes were made in the boilers, which it was thought would obviate the necessity of the two extra stacks, and she was started out with two only. But a few months afterwards they were replaced, and remained in her till she was dismantled in 1876.
p.2 Among The Thousand Islands - mentions steamers Ramona, Capt. Visgar, Victoria - the new steamer on Brockville-Gananoque route, yacht Leone owned by Fred Huck of Rockport.
The steamer Alexandria, from Charlotte, called at Craig's wharf last night.
The steamer Parthia cleared last night for Belleville to load timber for Garden Island.
The schooner Two Brothers, from Deseronto, with bunchwood, is at Booth's wharf.
The steamers Miko ( Niko ?) and Peterson take corn from Chicago to Kingston at three and a quarter cents.
The Canadian tow Rosemount, Melrose and Selkirk load corn at South Chicago for Kingston.
Arrivals at Swift's wharf: Schooners Burton from Fair Haven; Acacia and Marianette, from Charlotte.
The tug Bronson arrived from Montreal with five light barges and cleared again with four laden barges.
The schooner S.H. Dunn, Garden Island, is having a new foremast and a new mizzen topmast placed in position.
The tug Thomson arrived to-day from Charlotte with three barges, coal laden, and cleared again for the same place with three light barges.
The steamer Ramona arrived from Clayton last night, and entered the government drydock where her wheel was repaired. She left again for Clayton this morning.
The old and reliable steamer Pierrepont, of the White Squadron, is the proud possessor of a pair of new side wheels. Her speed will be somewhat increased by the change.
Arrivals at Swift's wharf to-day: Steamers Spartan from Montreal, Corsican from Toronto, North King, from Charlotte, Hamilton from Hamilton, James Swift, from Ottawa.
The steamer James Swift was a trifle late in reaching port this morning. Capt. Fleming reports that the Swift passed through several thunder storms yesterday afternoon and last night. A considerable quantity of rain fell.
Returning From Their Trip - schooner Maple Leaf, with 38 people aboard, returns from Alexandria Bay on way to Toronto.