The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 22 Oct 1900

Full Text



Near The False Ducks - The Crew Saved.

On Sunday morning at two o'clock the schooner Fabiola, owned by Capt. Daniel Bates, lower Bagot street, foundered at the False Ducks, twenty-five miles from Kingston. The crew were saved.

The Fabiola left Charlotte at four o'clock on Saturday afternoon for Kingston, with 250 tons of soft coal for Swift & Co. The weather was then fine and the wind easterly and light. All went well until eight o'clock, when Long Point light was reached, and there a heavy sea and a strong wind were encountered. The regular course from Charlotte is N.E. by N., but in order to fetch the schooner well to windward, Capt. Bates steered N.E. by E. The atmosphere was very misty, but Duck light was made all right. The crew reported to the captain, who was at the wheel, that the vessel was rapidly making water, and that it was getting up to the floor. Capt. Bates ordered the pumps to be kept going till the schooner got back of the Ducks, where smooth water might be found. Then if she could not be kept afloat, he would beach her. When east of the light, the schooner got loggy, and the crew reported that they could not keep her free. The waves were rolling mountains high, and the Fabiola was lurching badly.

Capt. Bates then shouted to the men to stand by the boat and get it clear. This was done, and the four men had just time to jump into it, and cut it adrift, when the Fabiola took a last lurch and disappeared beneath the rolling waters. Capt. Bates had put the wheel down to try and turn the vessel's head to the wind. One of the crew, Michael McMahon, narrowly escaped being left behind, as he remained at the bow pumps too long. He had to rush to the stern and throw himself into the boat.

When the Fabiola foundered, she was a mile from the Duck light. The crew, in the little boat, lost one of their oars, and drifted before the wind for six hours, when they landed at Indian Point, twelve miles from the scene of the foundering. During that time they had to bale out the water, which kept pouring in, with their boots and caps. From Indian Point, the crew proceeded to Bath, where they secured a rig and drove to Kingston, arriving here at four o'clock on Sunday afternoon. The men were well nigh exhausted when they first made land. Capt. Bates says that he never saw a crew who behaved so coolly in such danger. Besides the captain, there were Roy Osleton, of Bath, who was mate; Michael McMahon and another sailor.

The schooner Fabiola was rebuilt at Portsmouth twenty years ago. She was purchased four years ago from Capt. Ira Folger by Capt. Bates whose loss is $1,000, with no insurance to cover it. The captain and crew lost all their clothes and utensils. Capt. Bates has been sailing for forty years and never before met with a misfortune.

The schooner sank in forty-five feet of water, and is not worth raising. The coal was worth about $800, and it, too, was not insured.

(p.2 of the Daily being unreadable, this article came from Weekly Whig)

p.6 M.I. - (can't read)

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
22 Oct 1900
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 22 Oct 1900