The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 21 Nov 1900

Full Text

p.1 Capt. Fairgrave, Hamilton, received word last night that his steamer, the Arabian, which went ashore at White Fish Point, Lake Superior, in the storm a week ago, last Wednesday night, got off the shore yesterday morning unassisted and arrived at the Soo in the afternoon.

p.3 Damaged In The Ice - Seeley's Bay, Nov. 19th - The steamer Maggie May and barge Dandy arrived here on Monday and will lay up for the winter. The boat had a hard time breaking ice from Kingston here and received some damage from contact with it.



The S.S. Bannockburn cleared last night for Fort William.

The schooner Macdonald left the spile dock this morning for Oswego, to load coal.

The tug Antelope cleared today from Richardsons' elevator with a grain-laden barge for Montreal.

The steambarge Waterlily is assisting the steamer Alexandria in removing freight from Picton to points in the east.

The steamer Hamilton reached Toronto last night from Montreal, and was tied up. She will remain there until next season.

The schooner Two Brothers is unloading coal at Crawford's wharf. She left Kingston for Oswego late on Monday morning, loaded her cargo, and arrived back last evening - a very quick trip.

On account of the low water around the tower in the harbor yesterday, difficulty was experienced in releasing the schooner Minnedosa from the shoal. In the afternoon the water rose somewhat when the wind shifted.

The Richelieu and Ontario navigation company has arranged for an excellent service between Toronto and Bay of Quinte next summer. The Kingston and Toronto will give a daily service, and on four days every week boats will leave at 7 p.m. for the east.


Marine Case In Court.

At the police court this morning Frank McNulty, who had been employed as fireman aboard the propellor Glengarry, had the captain of the steamer summoned for non-payment of wages due him.

E. Holton Britton appeared for the steamer, and Capt. Gaskin was present. It was shown that McNulty went on board the boat on Oct. 30th at noon and left at 7 p.m. on the 15th Nov., and he claimed pay for sixteen and a half days at $1 per day; the captain of the steamer would only pay him for sixteen days up to noon on the 15th.

Capt. Gaskin stated that the M.T. company had had considerable trouble the present season with just such men as McNulty. This man had remained on the boat while she was in port, doing little or nothing for two days, and when he heard that she was going to make a start and had had his supper, he went to the captain at 7 p.m., just as the boat was going to leave, and stated he was going to quit and demanded sixteen and a half days' pay when his time was not up until midnight. The captain refused this, but offered to pay him for sixteen days up to noon, which he refused. Another fireman was not secured until 10 p.m., and the tow was detained for three hours. Capt. Gaskin stated that this class of man would come down and ship, get a meal and then clear out just as the boat was ready to leave; he had made up his mind to put a stop to it in future. The magistrate dismissed the case.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
21 Nov 1900
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 21 Nov 1900