James Navagh Dies
The late James Navagh who died in Buffalo on December 7th and whose funeral took place on December 10th at the Church of the Holy Angels, was born in June 1826 in Navin County Meath, Ireland. In 1829 he came to this country with his parents, who took up their residence in Oswego. In 1844 he went to learn the shipcarpenter’s trade with George S. Weeks, then the most prominent ship builder on Lake Ontario.
After serving three years he worked at different places along the lakes. In 1853 his built his first vessel; the Northumberland, at Cobourg, Ont., and afterwards the Augusta, Persian, Acontias, Minnehaha, James Navagh, Willard Johnson, Corsair, Cortez, Comanche, Cossack John R. Noyes, Oliver Mitchell, Belle Mitchell and the steam barge Annie Smith.
He was appointed street Commissioner for Oswego in 1876 and Superintendent for Public Works in 1877. He removed to Buffalo in 1880. In 1855 he married Mary E. Johnson, who survives him, and of whose issue there were eight children, seven of whom are living. Mary E., Robert J. George, Mrs Charles Boyle and Bell of Buffalo; Henry of Johnstown, Pa., and Mrs. H. Hait of Baltimore Md.