The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Jul 1901


Description
Full Text

p.2 Incidents of the Day - The fish business of A. Booth & Co. will hereafter be conducted under the title of the Dominion fish company. The change went into effect on July 1st.

MARINE INTELLIGENCE.

Crawford's wharf: schooner Acacia cleared for Oswego.

Richardsons' elevator: schooner Two Brothers, from bay ports.

The yacht Carmana, of Belleville, is in the dry dock in Kingston undergoing repairs.

Swift's wharf: steamers North King from Charlotte; Kingston from Toronto; Hamilton from Hamilton; Rideau Queen from Ottawa.

Craig's wharf: steamer Persia from Toronto; steamer Owen cleared for Oswego after unloading coal; steamyacht Wapiti from Toronto with a party aboard, for a trip up the Rideau.

M.T. company wharf: tug Glide from Montreal with three light barges; tug Thomson from Charlotte with three coal-laden barges, and cleared for Oswego and Sodus with two light barges; tug Hall cleared with three laden barges for Montreal.

Folgers Secure The Dock - Howard S. Folger, general manager of the Thousand Island steamboat company, has leased of C.C. Pierce, proprietor of the Fine View park hotel and property, the dock and all the privileges which are accorded it. The lease is for this season. The control of the Fine View dock is an important feature among steamboat men and it has been a matter of some trouble and contention for several years. The importance of the port is that it is the only place accessible to Thousand Island park on Sunday and a large percentage of Sunday traffic touches the dock. The Thousand Island steamboat company has by this lease virtual control of the immense transportation landing there and can by its own verdict prohibit all opposition boats from landing at or using the dock. It is understood that the majority of the river boats will be given the use of the dock on a percentage basis. It is also said that the gates barring access to the docks will be removed and that the public will be given free use of it. The lease took effect immediately.

p.3 Capt. Bullis' Statement - complaint that Pierrepont left dock too early.

p.4 District Dashes - James Burlingham, for many years light-keeper at Point Petre, has become a resident of Picton.

p.5 On The St. Lawrence - N.A. Bumpos, of Rochester, chief light-house inspector of this region, with a gang of workmen, is making repairs on the Rock Island light-house, opposite Thousand Islands park.

The maiden trip of W.H. Nichols' new steamyacht, the Nakonis (sic), will be made tomorrow. The Nakonis is one of the largest and most elegant private yachts on the river.

Aground Three Times - The passengers on the steamer Aletha, during her trip to Jones' Falls yesterday, had a novel experience. A short distance below Belle's Island she ran aground and was pulled off by the steambarge John Milne. Before she reached Kingston Mills she ran aground again, and this time the tug Maggie May released her. The Aletha managed to get as far as Washburn before she again poked her nose in the ground. The captain decided he would go no further, and the passengers spent the day reclining on the decks beneath the shadows of the umbrageous, overhanging trees, while cool breezes swept across the scene. They were a jovial lot and put in a good time. The start for home was made at 6:30 p.m.

p.6 Incidents of the Day - The steamyacht Charlietta, owned by Fred Frazier, Syracuse, N.Y., is high on the foot of the granite reef opposite Rock Island lighthouse, half a mile below Thousand Island park.

A Terrible Death - John A. Gates, formerly of Westbrook, dies on str. Mariska at Soo; was trying to unhook tow line, got entangled in line and dragged overboard.

PRESENTED WITH COLORS.

The New Steamer Kingston Arrived This Morning.

The new R. & O. N. company's steamer Kingston, named after the limestone city, arrived at Swift's wharf at four o'clock this morning, and left for Prescott two hours later, with a large party of Kingstonians aboard, the guests of the company. Those invited included the mayor and city council, ex-mayors, Kingston members and ex-members of Parliament, principal Grant, archbishop Gauthier, bishop Mills, and Col. Montizambert, D.O.C. C.F. Gildersleeve, manager, and several directors of the company were aboard, and received their Kingston guests. There was a large crowd on the wharf to see the steamer depart.

The Kingston had her first trial trip on Monday at Toronto. As the big steamer passed through the bay from the shipyards to the eastern channel, under the guiding hand of Capt. Esford, she was cheered by the crowd along the wharves and saluted by the steamers lying in the harbor. Side by side with the steamer Toronto she ran for miles down Lake Ontario towards Charlotte, both steamers representing a splendid appearance, and reflecting much credit on Canadian workmanship. The engines turn up thirty-eight and a half revolutions a minute, and the speed made is at the rate of twenty-two miles an hour. The steamer is commanded by Capt. Henry Esford, purser Jack Tinning and steward Fred Hepburn, all well known and favorites with tourists.

The trip from Kingston to Prescott was a great success. The steamer received ovations all along the river, large crowds being on the wharves. Frequent salutes were given from steamers and from shore. As the boat left Kingston, mayor Kent made a presentation to Capt. Esford of a full set of flags. The last flung to the breeze was a burgee, with the word Kingston inscribed. Three cheers were given with a will by the two hundred passengers who joined with fifty Kingstonians in royal honors.

The run to the foot of Wolfe Island, fifteen miles, was made in fifty minutes, on two-thirds steam. The steamer reached Prescott in four hours and a half. Engineers Milne and Bolton, Kingstonians, were at the lever. At Prescott the steamer Columbia was met with Capt. Hinckley in command.

On the return trip lunch was given to Kingston guests, presided over by general manager C.F. Gildersleeve. Acknowledgements were made by travellers that the Kingston is the finest boat on the inland waters, superior to the Hudson river boats. City representatives said they would be proud to be associated with such a splendid representative of naval architecture and elegance of decoration. It was a great honor to the city, because general manager Gildersleeve, mechanical manager Johnson, engineer Milne and the majority of officers and crew are from the limestone city. The boat is as near perfection as can be reached. At Brockville friends presented Capt. Esford with a gold locket and purser Tinning with a gold pin.

This afternoon at four o'clock the Kingston arrived up, and hundreds of people inspected her at Swift's wharf.


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Publication:
3 Jul 1901
Local identifier:
KN.17047
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Daily British Whig, 3 July 1901 Daily British Whig, 3 July 1901
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Jul 1901