The schooner Fleetwing cleared for Oswego with lumber.
Richardsons' wharf: schooner Queen of the Lakes cleared for Sodus with feldspar.
The steambarge Avon, with barges Withbeck and Menominee, of Ogdensburg, left this week to engage in the soft coal trade between Cleveland and Milwaukee.
M.T. company elevator: steamer Glengarry and consort Minnedosa, from Fort William, with 95,000 bushels of wheat; tug Bronson, from Montreal, with three light barges.
Swift's wharf: steamers Toronto down and up; Hamilton, from Montreal tonight; Caspian from Charlotte; Rideau Queen from Ottawa; steamyacht Cherokee, from the Thousand Islands.
Personal Mention - The remains of the late Capt. Crawford, who died in Chicago, arrived in the city yesterday afternoon, and were taken to his old home on Wolfe Island for burial.
p.6 The Ministers Here - The government steamer Lord Stanley, having aboard Hon. J.I. Tarte, minister of public works, and Hon. Sidney Fisher, minister of marine and fisheries, was in port this afternoon, tied up at the dry-dock. The two ministers are making a tour of the lakes, and are looking well and healthy. They proceeded westward in the course of the afternoon.
LATE CAPTAIN COLLIER
He Early Took To The Raging Waves
Lewis M. Collier was born in New York state May 4th, 1831. His parents were Canadians, having move to the state some two years previously. When he was four years of age his family returned to the native land, settling in Prince Edward at South Bay. As a lad of fourteen he took his first trip in the capacity of sailor. Being imbued with the unconquerable love of the water and seeing the possibilities of success financially, in navigation, he decided to work for a higher position. Patient industry, careful attention and good habits soon brought reward and he became a captain - a master mariner - before he was eighteen.
In the employ of the Davy Co. of Bath, he was placed on several vessels at different times. On one of these, the W.H. Davy, he was taking a cargo of coal and grindstones from Cleveland to Goderich, when continuous stormy weather brought on a rapid leak. The pumps were manned and all worked for life. A small island in Lake Erie was almost reached when down went the ship, leaving the mast heads above water. Here the crew clung in danger and hardship for two days until a tug rescued them. William Bowman, miller at Newburg, was a fellow sufferer in this hardship and now remains the sole survivor. This happened the same night the Lady Elgin with 300 passengers was lost.
Captain Collier becoming owner of the Ploughboy and more prosperous than his two brothers, came to the relief of the aged parents and moved all to Camden, in Wesley neighborhood. After a short time there a short transfer of Thomsonville was made and a farm purchased. The sisters married Jacob Baker and William B. Switzer and left the homestead. Lewis, when thirty years old, brought to the new home his wife Henrietta Farrington, of South Bay.
The sailor now settled down and went at the farm himself. But he found it an unpleasant change, and after one year was back to his ship. He became part owner of a steamboat, City of Belleville, and then purchased the Norfolk. The latter boat burned in Napanee river near Light's dock, and the loss nearly wiped out his careful savings of many years as well as part of his farm. It was a hard blow, especially as the origin of the fire appeared incendiary. Undaunted he was at it again and at length owned the steamer Flight, plying between Picton and Napanee. This boat he sold and entered the employ of the Rathbun company as captain of the Pilgrim for one year only.
The Reindeer he had built in 1883 and 1884, according to his own ideas. The success was pronounced, the ship builder grudgingly saying that after all his objections it was the best boat for speed and comfort ever turned out of Kingston yeards. No boat on the bay but saw with regret the stern of the Reindeer in a race. By his first marriage seven children were born. Only the three youngest of these passed the bounds of childhood and they now survive him. They are Wesley H., electrical engineer of Peterboro; Herbert B., druggist of Newburgh, and Nellie, of Napanee. Five years ago he married Mrs. Mary Welbanks, Milford, who also survives him.
His illness began Sunday, June 22nd, while at Prinyer's Cove. Indications showed appendicitis and general peritonitis. Favorable symptons appeared for a couple of days, but a general collapse followed and the sad end came June 30th. The funeral took place July 2nd, the services being held in the Western Methodist church, conducted by Rev. Bartlett and Rev. Farnsworth. The burial was in charge of the Oddfellows, beautiful and impressive.