The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 17 Dec 1902

Full Text

p.1 Navigation Closed - at Detroit.



Arrive In Six Vessels For Kingston.

At six o'clock last evening, four schooners, with foresails set, came down the harbor in tow of the steamer Westford, commanded by Capt. F.J. Eber, of Buffalo, N.Y. They were the belated coal-laden vessels from Oswego, and if darkness had not fallen, a pretty sight would have been witnessed, for the five boats sailed down the harbor at a fine rate of speed, which would have delighted the mariner ashore.

The vessels had been expected here for some days past, but were held back by bad weather and finally the ice in Oswego harbor imprisoned them. Capt. Eber smashed a way out, and at half past ten o'clock yesterday morning cleared across the lake, having in tow the schooners Queen of the Lakes, Tradewind, Annandale, and Fleetwing. The passage across was not very smooth, the waves sometimes splashing over the mastheads of the tow. A speed of nearly eight miles an hour was attained, and Kingston was reached at six o'clock in the evening.

The people have reason to be thankful to Robert Crawford for this latest consignment of hard coal. There were other eager parties after it, in fact the city of Hamilton offered $2 a ton for the cargo, for freight and towing. Mr. Crawford spent nearly $50 in telegraph and telephone messages to Oswego on Sunday and Monday, and was finally successful in getting the coal. The cargoes of the Westford, Queen of the Lakes, Tradewind and Annandale, amounting to 2,200 tons are his, while the Fleetwing with about 300 tons goes to James Sowards. Capt. Eber says he tried to get a couple more vessels to join his tow and come to Kingston for Mr. Crawford, but their captains feared the weather, as a gale was promised. The trip across was made in exceptionally good time.

Early this morning, the schooner Suffel, with a further cargo for Mr. Crawford arrived. She had been frozen in at Oswego, but managed to slip out.

The big coal dealers at Oswego say that Kingston is the luckiest place in Canada, as it has a fine supply of coal, while there is a fuel famine in others. Since the strike ended, 12,000 tons of hard coal have come here, and taking it in all, Kingston has laid in nearly the amount of her regular yearly requirement, and while coal is very expensive in other places, Kingston citizens will this winter pay only $7.25 a ton.

Wrecked and Maybe Crew Lost.

This morning it was learned that the steamer George Hall (missing since Thursday last, when in a heavy gale her tow broke from her and scattered over the lake), was ashore on the Main Ducks, 30 miles from Kingston. The Calvin Company has advised the owners in Ogdensburg, N.Y.

Capt. Thomas Donnelly has received a message from the lighthouse keeper at Salmon Point, that a steambarge is ashore and a total wreck on the south side of the Main Ducks, and that there is no sign of the crew. This is likely the steamer Hall.

Marine Notes.

The steamer Aletha was on the ferry route yesterday afternoon.

The M.T. company steamer Glengarry was successfully raised this morning.

The steamer Orion succeeded in getting through the Welland canal on Tuesday evening. The canal is now closed for the season.

The schooners Clara Youell and Annie Minnes were expected here today with hard coal from Oswego. Both cargoes are for the Rathbun company, Deseronto, and will have to be transhipped by rail.

Last night the barge Stephenson broke away from the steamer Avon near Galoup Island and is now battling with the waves of Lake Ontario. The destination of the boat is not known, but was probably a river port.

The small steamer Jubilee, owned by Capt. Roys, and which ran on the Morrisburg ferry last season, has been sold to parties at Lake Temiscamingue. It has reached Kingston, and will be placed on cars for shipment this week.

The steamer Pierrepont broke a connecting rod of her walking beam yesterday, while breaking the steam barge King Ben out of the ice at Brakey's Bay. She was towed to the city by the tug Frontenac, and repairs made, enabling her to resume her route today.

Wolfe Island Strikes Out.

Wolfe Island, Dec. 15th (To the Editor):

I am pleased to see that the people of Kingston are beginning to take an interest in the ferry between Wolfe Island and Kingston and Howe Island, as well. We advocate an early and late boat for the summer months for the benefit of the people of Kingston and ourselves also. The council met today. Members all present. They are determined to have a change for the better. Reeve Fawcett declares that if the people stand by him he will get them out of trouble. The time has come when we want the right man in the right place as reeve. He is there already.


p.5 Incidents of the Day - The negotiations looking to the sale of the steamer Varuna have fallen through.

Oswego advices say that the steamer Avon and barge Stephenson were bound from that port to Kingston. It is feared the barge has been lost.

p.6 The Anchor Caught - One of the coal vessels, which arrived last night from Oswego, threw anchor opposite the water works, and it caught on the suction pipe. In attempting this morning to get it up, the vessel's windlass broke. The anchor still remains caught. A city bylaw requires that boats do not cast anchor around the water works' pipe.


The Life-Saving Crew Off For Salmon Point.

Consecon, Ont., Dec. 17th - The lifeboat and crew left here by train today for Wellington, thence to Salmon Point, to remove the crew of a steamer supposed to be the Hall, coal-laden, which is ashore about two miles out from Salmon Point lighthouse on the shore, and is reported to be breaking up.

Crew Reported Safe.

John Donnelly, who returned this afternoon from Cape Vincent, states that the steamer Avon, from Charlotte, arrived there early this morning, and reported the wreck of the steamer Hall at the upper Ducks, and the safety of the crew. The Avon's consort broke away during the night, but was expected to find its way into Sacket's Harbor.

The Hall belonged to Ogdensburg and with the schooner Noyes in tow cleared from Oswego last Thursday for Deseronto. The tug Resolute with the schooner Abbie Andrews left at the same time. In the terrible gale Thursday night, the barges broke away from the tugs. The Andrews reached Hamilton, the Resolute, Port Dalhousie, the Noyes was wrecked near to Charlotte, and today the first tidings were received of the tug Hall.

Gone To the Bottom.

Rochester, Dec. 17th - The schooner John R. Noyes, which left this port in tow of the John E. Hall, on Thursday last, with coal for Deseronto, sank yesterday. The deserted ship was seen to plunge beneath the waves, one end rearing high in the air before she sank.

May Be Lost.

Watertown, N.Y., Dec. 17th - A special from Cape Vincent says: "The barge Isaac Stephenson, of Ogdensburg, broke from her tow in the terrible gale on Lake Ontario, ten miles west from Cape Vincent, and it is feared she has gone to the bottom with her crew of six men.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
17 Dec 1902
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 17 Dec 1902