The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 25 Nov 1903

Full Text



The steambarge King Ben is here from Montreal with a general cargo.

The big steamer Dalton brought the damaged grain to Richardsons' elevator from Montreal. She is bound up.

The steamyacht Sport, of Alexandria Bay, arrived here last night from Buffalo, N.Y., where she received a new boiler.

Richardsons' elevator: steambarge John Milne cleared for Napanee with grain; schooner Highland Beauty from Picton with wheat.




[Toronto World]

A most peculiar circumstance in connection with the finding of the steamer Erin is related by Capt. "Jack" Sullivan. When about twelve miles off the point where the Erin was found at anchor, Capt. Ganley, who was looking eagerly through the glasses for some sign of the missing craft, thought he descried an object which might have been a huge rock or ship, he could not tell which. Capt. Sullivan was called on deck and as soon as he got the direction he saw with the naked eye his brother's ship flying the flag of distress. "We've got her," he shouted, clapping Ganley on the back. Strange to say the rescue tug had gone several miles before the Erin could be seen with the glasses with the distinctness of Capt. Sullivan's first vision.

The Ainsworth got up to the Erin at one o'clock Friday afternoon. Two hours and a half before the Erin's crew had taken to the boats and landed and were then enjoying the hospitality of John Rosseau, a lone fisherman on that shore. Capt. "Pat" and his crew received the gallant little band on the tug with an exuberance of joy. The day before Mate Abe Colvin, of Port Dalhousie, said to his seafaring fellows, "I'll bet Capt. Jack will find us," and when the Ainsworth hove in sight the men on shore agreed that Captain "Jack" must be on her.

The Erin was riding at anchor in sixty fathoms of water not a hundred yards from the rock bound shore. Any minute she was liable to burst the chain which held her and be dashed to certain destruction, and the captain seized the first available opportunity to lower the boats. Even then the landing was extremely precarious. There was not a break in the craft, except in her engine, which had given out on Tuesday afternoon. The Erin left Fort William a week ago last Thursday. On Friday she put into Jackfish Bay for shelter, and was there a day or two. Then on Monday the machinery got out of order, and Capt. Sullivan turned into Michipicoten for repairs, leaving there at 8:30 Tuesday morning. The engine was disabled at one o'clock that afternoon, and from that hour until Friday the steamer drifted with the sea. The big anchor was let out near the shore, but the chain parted, and the Erin was almost on the rocks when the second anchor, a small one, took hold. If this had dragged the Erin would certainly have been thrown up on the shore, and loss of life would probably have resulted. The Ainsworth towed the Erin into Sault Ste. Marie, where her machinery is being repaired. Capt. "Jack" will go to St. Catharines today to assure his brother's wife that the Erin is safe.

Capt. "Pat" says the Mitchell stood by him and tried to render assistance until a snow storm came up and they lost sight of each other. The Erin was flying a distress flag when the Mitchell came up. The seas were rolling mountains high, and it was absolutely impossible for the Mitchell to get close enough to be of assistance. The reports of this affair indicated that the Mitchell refused to stand by.

p.3 Cape Vincent - ...The barges Nadine and Hilda are discharging pulp wood at this port....The steamer George C. Howe stopped at this port on Tuesday for the purpose of placing under arrest a portion of her crew, who refused to work in coming up the river.

p.5 Toronto Man Lost - seaman Edward McVittie, of Toronto, lost off steamer Lillie Smith on Lake St. Clair.

Back From Buffalo - Capt. E.A. Booth, of the steamer Toronto, who took the steamyacht Sport to Buffalo, about six weeks ago to have a new boiler installed and other improvements made, returned to port last evening with the yacht safe and sound. Today he left for Toronto to take charge of a lightship destined for duty in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and which he will deliver at Quebec.

Had An Experience - Capt. Oliver and Mate Cooper, of the schooner Tradewind, had quite an exciting experience at McDonald's Cove, on the Bay of Quinte a day or two ago. Running in for shelter, they went ashore and proceeded to pick hickory nuts. About the time they had their pockets filled, the owner of the farm appeared with a shotgun and demanded $15, or he would "blow out their brains." After a long parley, the two sailors were permitted to return to their boat with their anatomy undamaged.

Steamer Westmount Aground - The steamer Westmount, of the Montreal Transportation company locked through Sault Ste. Marie on Monday and ran aground at night at the lower end of Mud Lake. She was out of the channel a couple of feet. Tugs have been sent to her assistance, but she will have to be lightered before she can be released.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
25 Nov 1903
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 25 Nov 1903