The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 7 Aug 1905

Full Text

p.2 On the River - another description of excursion on steamer America, down river to Gananoque, Brockville and Ogdensburg; use of searchlight on return trip.

Incidents of the Day - It is expected that the steamer Argyle will be ready to return to Toronto on Thursday. A large staff of men are at work at her bottom.


The steambarge Westport, from Smith's Falls, is at Crawford's wharf, light.

The schooners Luff and Queen of the Lakes, from Charlotte with coal, are at the Penitentiary wharf.

Swift's wharf: steamer Aletha down; steamer Kingston down; yacht Idler, from Alexandria Bay.

M.T. company wharf: tug Thomson from Oswego, with one coal-laden barge; tug Bronson cleared down with two laden barges.

Craig's wharf: schooner Acacia from Charlotte; propeller Persia up yesterday; propeller Cuba down yesterday; propeller Lake Michigan up this morning; steamer Varuna up today; yacht Castanet from Alexandria Bay.



The Contest For The Canada's Cup.

Three contests embracing twelve races have been sailed for the Canada's Cup, emblematic of the yachting supremacy of the great lakes, which is to be defended off Charlotte, the races beginning on Saturday, August 12th by a yacht owned by some member of the Rochester Yacht club, against the Temeraire, designed by Fife, of Scotland, who will be on board during the races. The challenging yacht is owned by Rear Commodore Nichols, of the Royal Canadian Yacht club.

In 1896 a group of Toledo yachtsmen offered a silver cup to become the property of the yacht winning an international race off Toledo. The contest took place on August 25th and 26th between the Canada of Toronto, with a racing length of 41.78 feet and the Veneedor, of Chicago, with a racing length of 45.33 feet; the Canadian boat taking the first race by eighteen minutes and the second by one minute. On January 16th, 1897, the owners of the cup - George Gooderham, George H. Gooderham, S.F. McKinnon, Frank J. Phillips, J.H. Plummer, James Ross, and Aemilius Jarvis - donated it by deed of gift to the Royal Canadian Yacht club as trustee "as a perpetual international challenge cup for friendly competition between sailing yachts, representatives of yacht clubs of the two nations bordering on the great lakes." The trophy was to be known as Canada's cup, and was to be sailed for by yachts with a load water length of twenty-five to forty feet, under the regulations of the Yacht Racing union of the great lakes.

The Chicago yacht club was the first challenger and selected the Genesee, owned by members of the Rochester yacht club, as the yacht to bear its flag. The race took place off Toronto on August 24th, 25th and 26th, 1899, the Genesee winning three straight races from the Beaver - the first by one minute 22 seconds, the second by thirty-nine seconds, and the third by ten minutes and forty-seven seconds. The Genesee was a centreboard yacht designed and built by C.C. Hanley, of Quincy Point, Mass., and C.G. Davis was the skipper. The Beaver, with a fin keel, was designed by A.E. Payne, of Southampton, England, and was sailed by Aemilius Jarvis.

The second contest was sailed off Chicago on August 10th, 12th, 13th, and 14th, 1901, between the Cadillac, of Detroit, defender, and Invader, of Toronto, challenger. The former was designed by Crowninshield, Davis and Jones, and was sailed by William Hale Thompson. The Invader was designed by Sibbick, of Cowes, and was sailed by the redoubtable Jarvis, the cleverest skipper in Canada. The first race was won by Cadillac by eight minutes thirty-five seconds, but the Invader won the other three, the first by six minutes twenty-two seconds, the second on a foul, and the third by two minutes and twenty seconds.

The Rochester Yacht club then challenged and came forward with the Irondequoit, designed by Gardner, the Canadians defending with the Strathcona, of which Jarvis was the skipper. The Strathcona won the first race, which was sailed off the port of Toronto, by twenty-two seconds and the second by nine minutes fifty-two seconds. Then Arthur Hannan, of New York, replaced James Barr, also an importation, as the skipper, of the Irondequoit and she won the third race by four minutes twenty-nine seconds, the fourth by one minute eight seconds, and the fifth by one minute twenty-two seconds, thus bringing the cup to Rochester. These races were intensely exciting and Irondequoit's victory after losing two races in succession, was the cause of great rejoicing on this side of the lake.

Up to this time the yachts competing for the Canada's cup were in the forty-foot class, but the yachtsmen of the lakes came to the conclusion that such yachts were too large, too expensive in construction, and too costly in maintenance. Accordingly, it was agreed on September 12th, 1904, that in the next race the yachts should not exceed thirty feet on the load-water line. The change was in every respect wise, for there are many yachtsmen on the great lakes who will construct thirty-footers, which can always be used economically and enjoyably for cruising purposes, who would not construct yachts ten feet longer, which are practically useless after the cup races are over. The Irondequoit, for example, winner of the races of 1903, has been out of commission ever since. This year, with thirty feet the limit, Rochester yachtsmen have constructed no less than three yachts to go into the trial races, but in other years they constructed only one.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
7 Aug 1905
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 7 Aug 1905