A SAD REMEMBRANCE.
November 15th is the twelfth anniversary of the wreck of the schooner Flora Emma and the tug Eliza J. Redford, in which disaster Captain Featherstonhaugh lost his life. A furious gale raged on Lake Ontario and the schooner was trying to make Oswego, N.Y. Captain Featherstonhaugh, owner and commander of the Redford, went to her assistance and followed her down the lake. The tremendous seas, however, drove both the schooner and the tug on the beach near the life-saving station and Captain Featherstonhaugh was washed overboard and drowned.
Likely the Calkins.
This morning from Macdonald Park, a three masted vessel, thought to be the schooner Calkins, coal laden, from Oswego to the penitentiary, was seen anchored near Nine Mile Point, and was pounding heavily in the high running sea. During the course of the morning she dragged her anchor about one and a half miles, and when last seen was drifting to the north shore, apparently riding the waves well. It is feared she will go ashore. Capt. Shaw is in command of the schooner. The schooner is owned by James Sowards, Kingston, Capt. Shaw and Mr. Blodgett, Oswego, N.Y.
The tug Bonny, of Cornwall, is in the government dry dock for repairs.
Craig's wharf: propeller Cuba up last night; steamer Niagara due up tonight.
M.T. company elevator: steamer Turret Crown cleared last night for Fort William.
The steamer Reindeer has been hauled out at Picton and will undergo extensive repairs.
During the night the hulk of the propeller Melbourne broke away from Rathbun's wharf, and other boats near by were in danger of a pounding.
The steambarge Gordon Campbell, recently purchased by Mr. Plunkett, in Chicago, has been rechristened Northumberland. The barge loaded soft coal at Erie.
Few vessels were on the lake in today's gale. The tug Booth, out on Lake Superior for ten days, thereby causing anxiety for her safety, is reported safe in shelter at Michipicoten.
Swift's wharf: steamer Picton due down today; steambarge Arctic, for Deseronto, cleared light; S.S. Avon, from Ogdensburg to Cleveland; schooner M.A. Lydon from Charlotte with coal.
Capt. Charles A. Rogers and John W. Payne, Alexandria Bay, N.Y., have secured the contract to build a fine house boat for W.T. Cox, East Orange, N.J. The boat will be ninety-seven feet overall and seventeen feet beam, and will cost about $10,000.
p.3 If the Rochester Yacht Club does not wish to race for the Canada's cup next year, it need not do so, as the Royal Canadian Yacht Club is willing to postpone the race until 1907. In other words, the Rochester Club's request for a postponement has been granted.
The action by the Royal Canadian Yacht Club is a victory for the committee of the Rochester Yacht Club, which conducted negotiations for a postponement of the races. In view of the adoption of the resolution it is likely that a Canada's cup race will be held off Charlotte in 1907. "Precedent rules in yachting," said Commodore Pritchard not long ago, and precedent it was that strengthened the claim of the Rochester Yacht Club, that a race should not be sailed next summer. In granting the request the Royal Canadian Yacht Club evidently was not ruled as much by precedent as a desire to reciprocate for a past favor.
p.4 Wolfe Island, Nov. 14th - Capt. Crawford is at present working in Chicago.
ALL HOPE HAS VANISHED
Schooner Mary Doubtless Foundered in the Storm.
"We have given up all hope; our son is dead." The pathetic statement was made last night by Captain Andrew Baird in the presence of his heart-broken wife at their home, 171 ? Grange avenue. As he tremblingly handed a photo of his handsome son, Captain Andrew Baird, Jr. to a Globe reporter, both he and his aged life-partner were overcome with emotion. "There is no longer hope," Captain Baird repeated. "The schooner Mary left Fairhaven on November 6th, and at three o'clock that afternoon was seen off Oswego, scudding along under bare poles. It is only a fifty mile run to Napanee, so that no other conclusion can be reached than that she has gone to the bottom with all on board. My theory is that the sea filled her forecastle and cabin, and that, with 210 tons of coal on board, her bouyancy was gone and she sank to the bottom like so much lead."
Captain Baird was a splendid specimen of manhood, thirty-six years of age. He owned the schooner Mary, which was built at Thorold many years ago. The vessel had been kept in good repair, and the owner was very careful, never venturing out when the barometer indicated heavy weather. This was his last trip. He lived at Napanee, and leaves a widow. His parents survive, as well as three brothers, and one sister. Messrs. Frank, of Toronto, George, of Columbus, O., William, of Cleveland, and Mrs. John Hozack, wife of G.T.R. Conductor Hozack, Toronto. The vessel was valued at $1,500, and no insurance was carried on her. [Toronto Globe]
A FIERCE GALE.
A terrific south by south-west gale blew today from early morning, accompanied by short blinding snow flurries. A high sea was running on the lake, the worst this fall. The Folgers' dock was quite underwater. Some of the waves were bouncers, nearly as high as the Martello Tower.
The Island Wanderer made her trip, and the Wolfe Islander made two trips this morning but cancelled further ones until the storm abates. The schooner M.A. Lydon is anchored between Swift's and Craig's unable to make the former wharf. The S.S. Avon is also lying in port. She went up seventy miles in the face of the rising gale. Then she found her coal running short and she turned and came to Kingston. She is from Ogdensburg.
It is thought the S.S. Turret Crown, which left port last night likely made Oswego before the gale grew fierce.
The Vessel Is Safe.
Portsmouth advices this afternoon report the schooner at Snake Island as safe now. She has a firm anchorage and is riding the waves nicely. The impression there is that the schooner is the Oliver Mowat. Our informant says there is another vessel, a schooner, under shelter of Nine Mile Point. It is not known whether she is the Calkins or the Marshall, both of which have been windbound at Oswego, N.Y.
Did Not Return To Cape.
The steamer New Island Wanderer arrived from Cape Vincent at 12:45 o'clock, coming by way of the river. Her passage across the harbor was a bit sensational, but under Captain Allen's guidance, she made a good landing, in spite of the rolling sea, and snow bluster. On account of the snow, it was decided not to make the return trip to the Cape until tomorrow morning at six o'clock. This is the first time in seven years that a Folger boat has not made the Cape trip during the season of navigation, but the storm today was probably the worst in ten years, the snow adding awful difficulties to vessels.