The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 23 Jun 1906

Full Text

p.1 Montreal, June 23rd - The blockade caused by the sinking of the barge Alice, in the Cote St. Paul lock of the Lachine canal, has all been removed. During all of last night gangs of men were at work so that now traffic is going on the same as ever.

p.2 A Monster Appears - Every Time The Fort Gun Is Fired - in Dead Man's Bay.


The schooner Clara Youell, at Crawford's with coal, cleared, today, for Oswego.

The sloop Granger, with hay from Wolfe Island, is unloading at the G.T.R. wharf.

The schooner Queen of the Lakes cleared this morning for Charlotte, with feldspar.

The steamer Rideau Queen made the trip to Washburn today, to connect with the King.

The barge Siren unloaded grain at the Frontenac Cereal company's elevator, yesterday.

Swift's wharf: steamer Hamilton passed down last night, passengers and freight, to Montreal.

M.T. company: tug Bronson and three barges from Montreal; propellor Davidson cleared for Chicago.

Quite a number took in the steamer Caspian's first trip of the season this morning, down among the Thousand Islands

A new boiler has been installed in the engine house on Swift's wharf, to give added power for unloading coal laden vessels. The trestle is also undergoing improvements, towards strengthening the "overhead railroad."

The gas buoy at the foot of Wolfe Island, reported to have been displaced and carried abreast of Clayton, has been further disturbed and is now close to the dock. In the darkness, the steamer Hinckley dragged it along in her anchor chain.

The steamer America arrived from Prescott, this morning, about six o'clock and will take an excursion to Cape Vincent and return this afternoon. Yesterday the steamer took between 400 and 500 of the members of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen from Prescott to Thousand Island Park and return. The St. Lawrence also had her full complement on the same trip.

Barge Raised.

The coal-laden barge, sunk in Cote St. Paul lock, Lachine Canal, was raised, last night, and word was received at Swift's wharf that the steamer Belleville had left Montreal at six o'clock Friday. Her delay will depend on how many boats are ahead of her, ready to lock. She will likely arrive some time Sunday morning. Also due up from Montreal are the steamers Alexandria and Picton.

Day's Episodes - The yacht Katie Gray is in port from Oswego, with Commodore J.P. Phelps. His party is composed of Messrs. H.Perry Phelps, Elwood Diment, Frederick Hoffman, Henry M. Weed. The yacht left again this afternoon for home.



Schooner Dunn's Thrilling Experience.

[Toronto Telegram]

Partially dismasted, with sails blown to tatters and spars lying in splintered pieces on her decks the schooner Stuart H. Dunn was towed into harbor, Thursday, by the steambarge St. Joseph, completing a fifteen day of disaster.

When a steamboat man, with nothing wrong with his engines and nothing to fear regarding motive power, brings his passengers through a storm safely, they get up a testimonial for him; when a sailing man, crippled in spars and sails, with nothing left intact but the hull beneath his feet, brings his vessel safely home, nothing is said about it.

The Dunn was caught in the same furious cyclone squall that gave the Chicora's passengers such an exciting experience off Niagara. Capt. W.R. Wakely, of 133 Spruce street, Toronto, who sails her, was not taken unprepared. The light sails were off the vessel, the big mainsail was lowered and stowed, and all hands were forward taking in the foresail when the squall came.

With a roar of wind and rain it was upon them. The foresail, more than half lowered and stowed, ballooned aloft. One wrench and the clew-earing had torn away the end of the foreboom, and the sail was lashing madly about among the lifts and lazy-jacks. It split and ripped into shreds and tatters, tearing out great patches of canvas. All that is left of it would about make a hatch cover.

The Dunn had been put dead before the wind, relieving the strain as much as possible, and the mizzen, a comparatively small sail, was left hanging. When the foresail went Capt. Wakely raced aft to settle the mizzen down. It met him half way. The great stick, ninety feet or so from truck to saddle, with all its spars and sail and gear, plunged forward at him, snapping like a pipe stem when it came through the cabin top. It struck the port after leg of the main crosstrees, and this snapped it again in the masthead, and the pieces crashed to leeward, going on to the furled mainsail.

Capt. Wakely dodged the heavy rigging and falling timber and came out unhurt.

As though with a special malevolence the wrecked mizzen made a complete wreck of the mainsail, breaking both boom and gaff and tearing the sail.

This cleaned the Dunn completely out of her principle driving power - foresail, mainsail and mizzen, the jibs, topsail and kites that were left being only useful in conjunction with the wrecked three lowers. But undaunted, Capt. Wakely got his crew to work, "fished" the broken gaff, herring-boned the remnants of the mainsail together, and hoisted the sail, loose-footed, with a tackle on the clew carried to the stump of the shattered mizzen mast. This, with the square top-sail and three jibs, gave her enough wings to crawl along with.

Then a second squall came and threatened to complete the wreck, but the Dunn came through safely and headed for Charlotte. Off the piers, Capt. Wakely put his helm hard down and took the head sails off her, but she wouldn't look up under her crippled canvas, so he let go his anchor and waited for a tug.

In Charlotte he notified the owners, the Conger Coal company, and wired Fairhaven, wither he was bound, for a tug. The Fairhaven tug came up and the Dunn towed down, got her load of coal and came home in tow of the steambarge St. Joseph. She is now refitting and discharging her cargo of coal at the foot of Church street.

Vesselmen are unanimous in praising the skill and judgement of Capt. Wakely, which alone prevented the total loss of the vessel and saved the lives of the crew of seven persons all told. It was a difficult feat, requiring an expert's knowledge and perseverance, to bring her safely into shelter under such rags of sails and with her spars shattered. A less skilful or less courageous mariner might have abandoned his vessel, or let her lie helpless until the next squall drove her ashore to be dashed to pieces and her crew drowned.

Were Much Pleased - at good times given on river by captain and officers of White Squadron vessels St. Lawrence and America.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
23 Jun 1906
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 23 Jun 1906