The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 11 Dec 1906

Full Text



Goderich, Dec. 11th - After a thrilling experience of several days, battling with the north-westerly blizzards on Lake Huron, the steamer Newmount managed to reach this port, early Sunday morning, ice-coated from stem to stern.

After leaving the Soo, early on Tuesday, the Newmount experienced several successive gales, accompanied by blinding snowstorms, which rendered navigation exceedingly perilous. Unable to find shelter on either shore, the captain was forced to battle with the sea, which at times completely covered the large vessel. The appearance of the vessel bears evidence of the strenuous fight which Capt. Bassett states was the worst he ever experienced in his long career on the upper lakes.

p.2 ON ILL-FATED RESOLUTE - Thomas Topping, engineer on Resolute for many years; two brothers are engineers on steamer Reliance - much family history.

Meeting Room For the Marine Lectures - letter from Thomas Donnelly explaining that it was the ministry of marine that chose the lecture room and pays the rent for it; meetings are not only for members of the Masters and Mates' Association, but for anybody interested; meetings won't start until Jan. 4th, after all mariners have returned from season's work.


Capt. Plunkett of the steamer City of New York is in the city from Cornwall.

The steambarge Navajo is still at Richardsons'. She will make a trip to Howe Island for hay if it is at all possible.

The work of unloading the steamer Simla will probably be completed today. The vessel will lay up for the winter at Garden Island.

The steamer America has gone into winter quarters, after receiving repairs on the Portsmouth marine railway during the past 2 weeks.

Capt. Donnelly has been called to Brockville to say what he thinks is best to do with the steamer Victoria, now at the bottom of Tunnel Bay.

The freight steamer Lake Michigan, well known in this vicinity, has not been heard from on Lake Huron since the storm of Thursday. She carries a crew of twelve, mostly from Sarnia.

The Mishap to Fairmount.

The steamer Fairmount suffered very little damage as a result of her mishap at Seven Acre Shoal, Snake Island, and the work of pulling her off was most skilfully accomplished. The cargo of grain will be unloaded for the M.T. Co., as soon as possible, and the vessel will lay up here for the winter. It was rather unfortunate that the vessel should meet with the accident on this, her last trip of the season, but of course such mishaps come to the best of vessels at times.

The work of releasing the vessel was accomplished during the heavy snow storm, and the wrecking crew had a rather tough time of it. They are to be congratulated upon their good work.

Steamer Frozen In - The steamer Dundurn, belonging to the Hamilton & Montreal Navigation company, will spend the winter frozen in the ice of Lake St. Louis, near Lachine. The Dundurn is lying just above the Lachine locks, and the local agents of the company state that she will suffer no damage from her enforced imprisonment.



To Wm. Lesslie For The Raising.

[Quebec Chronicle]

The S.S. Bavarian, floated off Wye Rock two weeks ago, and beached at the east side of the Gilmour wharf, St. Joseph de Levi, will remain in her present position until next spring.

The North American Wrecking company, having allowed time to elapse before coming to a conclusion what to do with the vessel, have been compelled to abandon all operations until next spring, on account of the weather conditions and ice in the river.

M.P. Davis, the well-known contractor, speaking of the successful floating of the Bavarian, expressed indignation at the way the Americans were taking credit for the floating of the ship. He said it was Canadian brains and not American engineering that was responsible for the success, and the credit alone was due to Capt. William Lesslie, of Kingston, Ont. "I make this assertion," said Mr. Davis, "on the authority of personal knowledge and because it was I who sold the compressed air plant to Capt. Lesslie."

Continuing, Mr. Davis said: "When the Bavarian went on the rocks, Capt. Lesslie tendered for the contract to lift her, and came to me, asking an option on my plant, which I gave him.

"The Allans, however, undertook to do the work themselves, and Capt. Lesslie was compelled to abandon his idea.

"Last spring when Mr. Armitt came over under orders from the underwriters to lift the ship, and went away saying the work could not be successfully done, Capt. Leslie again tendered for the contract and it was given him.

"He then returned to me and purchased my compressed air plant, and then sought out Mr. Hosmer and others who subscribed $50,000, and formed a company to perform the work.

"It was only when Capt. Lesslie was in the act of transporting the compressed air plant that he purchased from me, from Victoria Cove to the Bavarian, that the Americans came upon the scene and offered to purchase the contract, but instead of doing so, they took shares and a larger company with greater capital was formed, and now I see by the press that the Yankees are trying to take all the credit for the success to themselves, without even giving Capt. Lesslie a fair share. The facts are that the plan altogether eminated from the brain of Capt. Lesslie and the Canadians associated with him, and the public should know the real facts, in justice to Canadian enterprise."



Sault Ste. Marie, Dec. 11th - The tugs Root and General left last night, for the steamer Ionic, ashore near Whitefish Point. Manager Nicholson, of the Northern Navigation company, of Sarnia, owner of the Ionic, is on the ground to look after wrecking operations. The crew of the Ionic are suffering no particular discomfort.

Capt. C.M. Sinclair, representing the underwriters, left, last night, on a tug to look at the wrecked steamer Golspie, near Michipicoten, and bring the crew here.

The good work of the tugs and the milder weather opened the channel enough to loosen up the ice-bound fleet in Mud Lake, and to allow the boats to proceed up and down the river. The government officials let the fleet tied up here down, one after another, to avoid congestion and trouble anywhere in the river. Both up and down bound vessels are moving freely.

The Huronic Safe.

Fort William, Dec. 11th - The steamer Huronic, which was first reported lost instead of the Monarch, came into port while the wildest rumors concerning her loss were current. On reaching shore, members of the Monarch's crew were exhausted, but they built a fire that attracted the attention of the lighthouse keeper at Passage Island, who started for the scene at once. He had a small boat, and was unable to land, whereupon Purser Beaumont swam out in the cold water to the boat, and told the story of the wreck. The lighthouse keeper then went back and sent for help.

Launched On 22nd - Montreal, Dec. 11th - The Richelieu & Ontario Navigation company announced that their new steamer will be launched at Toronto on the 22nd of December.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
11 Dec 1906
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 11 Dec 1906