The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 30 Apr 1908

Full Text

p.2 Grain From the West - There will be a big rush of grain to Kingston from the west, in the course of two weeks. Several of the M.T. company's boats are at present in Fort William, loading for Kingston. The vessels loading include the steamers Advance, Glenmount, Fairmount, Rosemount, Stormount and barges Quebec, Hamilton and Ungava.


The sloop Maggie L. cleared today for Belleville, to load 300 barrels of cement for Kingston.

The schooners Acacia and Bertha Kalkins, lying at Four Mile Point, windbound, cleared for Oswego this morning.

The steamer Alexandria called at Folger's, on her down trip, last night, and left with freight for Montreal and intermediate points.

The steamer Ames cleared at eleven o'clock this morning for Montreal.

The schooner Voges passed here, this morning, on her way from Gananoque to Deseronto, to load lumber for Oswego.

Swift's: steamer Belleville down Wednesday night, first trip; steamer Rapids King down from Toronto to Prescott; steamer Aletha from bay points.

The schooner Mary Ann Lydon is undergoing some repairs before making another trip across the lake. Some damage was done to the vessel on the last trip over from Oswego.

Capt. Clark Taylor, of Belleville, has purchased an interest in the schooner Suffel, and will sail the vessel this season. He arrived in the city this morning to fit out the vessel and get his crew together. Joseph Dix sailed the Suffel last year.

p.3 Gananoque, April 29th - The coal schooner Theodore Voges cleared for Oswego yesterday morning.



The Buckeye State Accident Rehearsed.

The sittings of the Admiralty court were resumed Wednesday afternoon, after his Lordship and visiting counsel had attended the convocation proceedings at Queen's university. Mr. Lesslie was still under cross-examination by Mr. Cline. Witness said that on April 15th he examined the boat in the dry dock and examined the lock at Cornwall on April 26th. He was questioned closely as to the position of the steps, the size and all connected with them. Fully an hour was spent while the witness worked out the depth of water, at high and low water, at the time of the accident and at the present time. It took some time to do the figuring, and very little seemed to be accomplished. Every point and every part of the lock was fully discussed and figured on, plans and blue prints being produced by both sides. Quite a discussion took place as to what steps hit the boat, to put the hole in her hull, if any step hit her, just when she would touch the gate, would she touch the railing on top of the gate, and many other things, even to find out if the force of the blow was enough to knock a man, who was standing on the deck, off his feet.

After an hour and a half questioning his lordship stated that he thought the connection between the tug and the barge was more important than all the figures and questions asked. At seven o'clock the cross-questioning of Mr. Lesslie was brought to a close and court adjourned until nine thirty in the morning. In the evening the counsel met before his lordship at the British American hotel but nothing very important was gone over.

When court was resumed this morning Captain John Baptiste Desgrosellier, of the tug Jessie Hall, took the stand. Witness stated that he was in Iroquois November last, and saw the barge Buckeye State at the pier there. When he arrived the barge was sinking and her captain asked witness to tow him to shallow water and put a pump on her, which he did. He produced a signed statement of the work done, and how long it took him. Witness stated that the tug Mary P. Hall came along later and took his place, as she was a bigger boat with stronger engines. In cross-examination Mr. Cline went over the memorandum point by point, with the witness, who told of the work done by him, and of pulling off the stem of the barge.

Capt. T.J. Murphy, of the tug Mary P. Hall, was the second witness called by Mr. King. Witness said he was lying at Prescott when he received orders from the company to go to the barge Buckeye State at Iroquois. He stated that when he arrived with the tug the Jessie Hall was there and that the barge was on the bottom. Part of the stem was pulled off above the water, but he did not know about underneath it. Witness stated that when he had made fast he was told by the captain of the barge that there was about seven feet of water in his craft and to get his pumps working. He at once started the pump and kept on working until he released her. He produced a statement showing how long it took him. He started for home with the barge, and had to lie at Prescott because the barge was leaking badly. Later he went to Clayton, laid there all night and then went on to Cape Vincent, where he had to pump her out again. The cargo was taken off at Cape Vincent and she was brought light to Kingston. He stated that while he was towing the boat up, the tug Mary had to use her pumps to keep her from sinking. The Mary was with him all the way to Cape Vincent. Witness stated that after the barge was lightened at the Cape, one of the men of the barge showed him the leak, on the starboard bow up from the keel. On cross-examination witness denied positively that any of his crew were drunk on that day, or that he was running up to the hotel. To Mr. King on re-cross-examination witness said that it took as much coal to run the pump as it did to tow and that he could not do both at once.

Luke Mallen, captain of the tug Mary, was next called and told of the work he did on the barge Buckeye State, at the order of the Montreal Transportation company. His statement of work done was produced, and how much time it had taken him to pump her out. He was with her all the way to Cape Vincent with the exception of three hours while he was coaling up at Prescott. During these three hours the Mary P. Hall took his place at the pumps. Mr. King rested his case for salvage at this point, reserving the right to come in with rebuttal on points that have not yet arisen.

Mr. Cline stated that in regard to the other case in which his clients were plaintiffs, against the tug Mary Ellen, in England and the United States, if an injury was done to a barge while in tow the tug owners had to begin, and disprove negligence in causing the accident. His lordship was under the opinion that the other side should commence. The first witness called by Mr. Cline was Jesse Barclay, a diver in employ of the dominion government along the Morrisburg canal. He stated that he was called to examine the Buckeye State and found her lying on the bottom of the bay near Iroquois. He went down and examined the stem and found that the false stem was split, and that there was an iron band that went around her bow, connecting the bow and forefoot was broken or cut. The stem was also knocked to one side about eight inches or a foot. This injury extended up to the top of the water, as she lay on the bottom. The stem at the top was knocked to one side, about two inches. Witness told of the injuries he found on the boat after he had taken off the false stem, and of fixing them. He went along the bottom, but did not see any other damage that he thought serious. He caulked the check and covered it with canvas. Witness received $53 for his services. He stated that he had been down at the head of the Morrisburg canal, but had never seen the steps in question.

In cross-examination by Mr. King, witness said that he could not say whether the place caulked had been repaired or not, and he could not tell whether the hole went through the inner stem or not. He said the hole was about a foot long and about one inch and a half wide at the widest spot. The barge had settled about three feet in the mud and he did not see any other injuries. The witness was shown a photograph showing other injuries and he stated that they must have been in the mud. To Mr. Gogault, witness said that he could not say what was inside the real stem to stop the water from going in. He also stated that some of his results were secured by feeling, and that the hole might have been there and he not find it.

Capt. Demand Hansen, of the Buckeye State, was next called by Mr. Cline. He stated that during the past season he made six trips, being towed by the tugs of the M.T. company. Witness stated that once, when the tug took him in tow at Lachine he did not engage any other tug. On one occasion he hired the tug Mary Ellen to tow him to Dickinson's Landing, on the orders of Mr. Cuttle, manager of the M.T. company. Witness told of the last trip up. He left Lachine on November 27th, in tow of the Mary P. Hall, as far as Coteau, when the Emerson took her in tow and pulled her up to the Cornwall canal, where the tug left them, going on up to lock 20. He stated he pulled the barge through the first lock with his steam winch. When he was in the last lock, two of his men were on the basin, one at the stern line and one at the bow line. The tug pulled the barge so far out that the deck hands had to let go of the lines. Witness said that when he was far enough out, he put his wheel hard to starboard and told the mate to tell the tug captain to take care, but the latter took no notice. He called out to the tug again not to pull them so far over, but the captain would not stop, and he called a third time, not to pull him over too far. Court then adjourned to meet at two o'clock.

Should Be Removed - Complaint was made today that an old hull of a boat was floating in the river, near Cataraqui bridge, and that it would prove dangerous to boats in that vicinity at night. The hull was at Bell's Island, but the high waters washed it away from the shore.

Marine Tidings.

Next Monday, the steamer Rideau King begins her trips to Ottawa.

The steamer D.D. Calvin arrived at Garden Island, today from Charlotte with coal.

The steamer Pierrepont will enter Davis' drydock tomorrow, for an overhauling. She will be in splendid condition this season.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
30 Apr 1908
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 30 Apr 1908