The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Jul 1909

Full Text

p.1 Gananoque, July 3rd - ...The coal schooner Horace Taber arrived from Oswego, last evening, with a cargo.



The steamer Sowards cleared for Oswego.

The steamer Neepawah passed up from Montreal, yesterday.

The steamer Alexandria was at Folger's wharf last night, from Montreal, with freight.

The steam barge John E. arrived from Oswego and is laid up at Portsmouth.

The steamer Glenellah, from Montreal, passed on her way to Belleville, to load cement for Fort William.

The schooner Mary Ann Lydon is at the Grove Inn. The schooner has been undergoing repairs and will undergo inspection before making another trip.

Capt. James Crosby, formerly of the schooner Acacia, has taken command of the schooner W.J. Suffel. Capt. Taylor has returned to his home in Belleville.

M.T. Co.: tug Mary P. Hall from Montreal, three light barges; tug Bartlett from Toronto, light; steamer Rosemount, grain-laden, will arrive Saturday night from Fort William and will clear for Oswego.



Kathleen Won Cup By One Second.

The George cup will be retained by the Kathleen, of Kingston. In the most exciting contest witnessed in Kingston harbor in many a year, the Kathleen managed to slip her nose over the finish line in this morning's contest (the third and last of the series) just one second ahead of the Crescent, of Watertown. The finish was indeed thrilling, and not till the buoy was reached could a safe venture be made as to the outcome between these two boats.

The Kathleen and the Crescent clung to each other all through, as the fight for supremacy was between these two. It was early seen that the first place would go to the Whirl, as the weather suited the Toronto boat to a nicety. The Crescent's object was to prevent the Kathleen from getting second place, as the Kingston boat needed just a second place to win the cup on points. Hence the Kingston and Watertown boats paid no attention to Aemilius Jarvis and the Whirl and allowed him to travel where he pleased. Skippers Cunningham and Reeves, however, hung right on to one another in a fight for life.

(photo of Kathleen)

And a fight for life it was. The Crescent and Kathleen, after rounding the outer buoy for the last time, sailed away up the Wolfe Island shore. The Crescent, however, came about first for home. The Kathleen hung on a little too far, and it was thought it was all over with her. But it was not. The Kingston boat had the windward position, and soon pulled up to the Crescent. As the buoy was approached, the onlookers were intensely excited. Fortunately the Kathleen got a slight overlap on the Crescent, and that gave her the race, as the Crescent had to give the Kingston boat the buoy, and it was only a matter of the Kathleen swinging around in order to cross the line. But Skipper Cunningham nearly lost the place by a moment of forgetfulness. He forgot that the buoy had to be rounded, completely, owing to the two boats having come up to it from the opposite directions. Those on the yacht club wharf yelled to him to cross the line. The Crescent had swung around, and was aimed at the finish line. Mr. Cunningham, however, just managed to bring the Kathleen about and hit the line about twelve inches ahead of the Yankee craft, and the cup was won. Those at the club house raised a storm of applause, for the little Kingston yacht had won a victory by the narrow margin of one second, according to the official time of the judge, Captain William Lesslie.

The race started at 11:18 o'clock. The course was ten miles to windward and return, the outer buoy being set near the Wolfe Island shore, opposite Cedar Island. The wind was steady from the west north west.

Whirl got over the line first, with Crescent second, and Kathleen a hundred yards behind. Whirl rounded the first buoy in the lead, followed by Crescent, with the Kathleen third.

After rounding the buoy the Crescent and Kathleen ran down off Cedar Island. The Whirl held on towards the home buoy, but later followed the other two boats towards Cedar Island. On coming about the Whirl led, with Crescent second. The Whirl maintained a nice lead at the home buoy, which was rounded as follows: Whirl, 12:00:32; Kathleen 12:02:28; Crescent 12:02:57.

On the return to the outer buoy on the second round, the yachts maintained their relative positions. As in the first round, the yachts threw out their spinakers. The Whirl rounded the buoy first, well in the lead, Kathleen second, Crescent third.

Finish: Whirl, 12:45:10; Kathleen, 12:50:10; Crescent, 12:50:11.

Score by points: Katheen, 7; Whirl, 6; Crescent, 5.


Welland Canal and Lloyds.

A protest from the Canadian lake marine interests has also been occasioned by the report that Lloyd's and other English underwriting companies contemplate an increase of one percent on hull insurance on all steamers using the Welland Canal and trading east of that waterway. This would mean that the rate of insurance from Port Arthur to Buffalo would be five per cent, to boats going through the Welland and trading as far east as Prescott 6 per cent, and to those going on down the St. Lawrence to Montreal 7 per cent, an increase of 2 per cent over the Buffalo route. The adoption of this insurance rate would further handicap the Canadian all-water grain route, and tend to divert the carrying trade back to the New York route. For part of last year the Canadian route almost put the American route out of business.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
3 Jul 1909
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Jul 1909