The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 15 Jul 1910

Full Text

nil - (missing pages 2,4,7,9,11,12).

July 16, 1910

p.4 Stands By the Rideau - an editorial against the Canadian Pacific company's attempt to close the Rideau Canal at Ottawa so they can use the land for a railway.



The steamer Missisquoi was up from Gananoque today.

The steamer Sowards arrived from Charlotte with coal for Rockwood asylum.

At Folger's wharf: steamer Alexandria from Quebec Friday night; steambarge Waterlily from Montreal Friday night.

M.T. Co.: The steamer Westmount cleared for Belleville to load cement for Fort William; tug Thomson cleared for Montreal with three barges; tug Emerson will arrive tonight from Montreal with five light barges, and will clear with two barges for Lake Erie to load coal.

Swift & Co.'s wharf: Rideau Queen cleared for Ottawa this morning; steamer Rideau King from Ottawa this afternoon; steamers North King and Ottawa down and up today; steamer Belleville up last night; schooner Keewatin expected today from Oswego, with coal.

p.7 George Cup Races - Kathleen & Crescent Each Won Three - a resume of the George Cup races. (1 1/2 columns) [Watertown Standard]



Charles Quinnell Drowned At Brockville.

Charles Quinnell, known as "Jack the diver," who resided in Kingston for many years, and was very well known in marine circles, was drowned at Brockville, at 11:30 o'clock on Friday morning. Chief of Police Baillie was notified on Saturdayof the fatality. Deceased left here for Brockville a short time ago. He was about forty years of age, unmarried, and as far as is known, had no relatives. He hailed from Montreal. He was a familiar character in all the towns and villages on each side of the river St. Lawrence between Kingston and Montreal.

A despatch from Brockville says that Quinnell took his last plunge off the waterworks' wharf. During the past few weeks he had been recovering bars of pig iron from the bottom at that locality and selling them to the foundries and local junk dealers at seventy cents per hundred pounds. His mode of securing them was to dive, in bathing costume, with one end of a rope in his hand, which he would fasten to a bar and upon coming to terra firma, would pull the bar out of the water. Friday morning he recovered five in this manner, which were disposed of, and shortly after eleven o'clock proceeded to secure another. He fastened the rope around one and noticing another nearby thought he would take another dive and secure the two thus completing the mornings work. Between operations, however, and while the unfortunate fellow was up town he drank considerable and was more or less under the influence of liquor when he took the fatal plunge.

Fifteen or sixteen spectators were on the wharf at the light and when Quinnell had been down about two minutes they commenced to grow anxious. The water at that point is thirty feet deep and, presently, five or six feet below the top he was seen to be slowly rising to the top and bubbles issuing from his mouth clearly indicating that he was still breathing. He was faintly working his arms, but before anything could be done he reached the top, when he turned over and sank as quickly as a stone. He never arose the second time. At latest reports the body had not been recovered.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
15 Jul 1910
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 15 Jul 1910