The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 19 Sep 1910

Full Text

p.1 The Steamer Released - Sept. 19th - The steamer Hutchison, aground at Grand Pointe, River St. Clair, was released Sunday afternoon, and proceeded down the river. She was not damaged.


Will Be The Place For Many Vessels.

Detroit, Sept. 19th - The Steel Corporation, which takes care of something more than fifty per cent of the wild capacity, will be through with outside tonnage in thirty days, and at the end of that time many vessels will have to go into winter quarters.

The grain movement will not be as heavy as it was last season and trade will furnish business for only a small part of the fleet that will be in the market when the steel trust quits. The other ore shippers will have about all they can do to take care of their contracts; ships and down cargoes will be very scarce the remainder of the season.



James Hyatt Lifts Nets From Lake Ontario.

To those who have been in the habit of spending their summer vacation in the vicinity of the celebrated "Sand Banks" of Prince Edward county, the name and sight of Mr. and Mrs. James Hyatt, who will celebrate their golden anniversary in October, are very familiar.

The sturdy old sailor, who has passed the three-score-and-ten, was saving lives along the lake front in the neighborhood of his home, long before Humane Society medals had ever been thought of and is still ready and eager to extend a helping hand to any mariner in distress. He has spent his entire life in his fishing yawl, and at the age of seventy-three rows out and visits his nets daily.

Sixty years ago the steamer Ocean Wave took fire in the course of her trip down Lake Ontario, and went to the bottom off Long Point. James Hyatt, after an unavailing attempt to save some of the survivors of the disaster, found the body of Lyman B. Fiske, a wealthy Bostonian, who had evidently jumped overboard.

Fiske's partner, a man named Humphrey, came over from Cleveland as soon as he had learned the news, and offered Hyatt a reward of $100 for the possession of the body. The latter readily complied, and signed away his right to claim any of the dead man's personal effects. Thereupon Humphreys extracted 36 one thousand dollar bills, and transferred them to his own wallet.

Mr. Hyatt affirms that, according to the law at the time, he was entitled to half of the money found on the dead man, $18,000. But he had signed away his claim, and the wealth that had been within his grasp was now the possession of another.

One of the old fisherman's most heroic acts was the saving of six lives from the schooner International, driven ashore on the "Banks" in a terrific storm, thirty years ago. Despite the fact that a terrific sea was rolling, Hyatt fearlessly launched his yawl, and, rowing out to the rapidly sinking wreck, brought the survivors ashore.

On another occasion Mr. Hyatt saved the lives of four fishermen who had run aground during the night, and were in an unconscious condition when he had managed, after nearly capsizing a dozen times, to reach them.

Mr. Hyatt has become a veritable landmark in the Long Point district, and it is the sincere wish of his friends on the lake and ashore that he may pass many more milestones before "crossing the bar."

p.3 Gananoque, Sept. 19th - ...The steamer City of New York, which had been unloading steel for the D.F. Jones company for the past few days cleared for Cleveland Saturday evening.


New Boat Wanted To Represent Club.

[Watertown, N.Y., Standard]

Although one of the fastest boats of her size in the world, the Crescent has brought out all that is in her and should no longer represent the Crescent Yacht Club in races, according to ex-Commodore George W. Reeves, in a report submitted to the club at a special meeting held last night. He is of the opinion that a larger boat on the lines of the Swamba, of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, of Toronto, is to be built to take the place of the Crescent, but what will be done in this respect is not yet known. The report states that the boat is now one of the best in the world, and that there is not a mar or a scratch on her.

The boat was designed by Mower and built by John Francis. She has sailed in about fifty races and with the exception of one instance has never finished later than third place, and in the majority of instances has finished first or second. She has won seven cups and twenty-five prize flags. In fifteen races with the Kathleen, of Kingston, she has won eight. In sixteen races with the Whirl, she has won seven, and in five races with the Swamba, she succeeded in sailing away from the latter boat twice. The Crescent cost $1,785 and has been sailed four seasons and commanded by Commodore Reeves during that time. The best of care has been taken of her and she is now in smoother and better shape than ever before, due to the pride taken in her by her commander and crew. Never has she lost a second's time in a race because of something going wrong, which speaks well for the manner in which she was looked after. According to the report of Judge Reeves the boat has been responsible for the good reputation of the club among the yacht clubs on the lake and while he believes that she will never do any better than she has done and should no longer represent the club, he does not favor letting her go out of the club if there is any possible way of keeping her.

p.5 The Vessel Arrived - The R. & O. steamer Kingston, which broke her main shaft, Wednesday evening last, while on her way from Kingston to Charlotte, N.Y., was towed into Toronto harbor, from Kingston, on Monday morning, by the tug Bartlett. She will go into dry dock for repairs.


The government boat Speedy was in Kingston for the week-end.

The schooner Major Ferry cleared for Charlotte and will load coal for Booth & Co.

The schooner Julia B. Merrill is at Richardsons' elevator, loading feldspar for Charlotte.

The barges Aberdeen and Frank D. Ewen are loading wheat at Forwarders for Montreal.

The steamer Sowards arrived from Charlotte, and is discharging coal at the water works' wharf.

The government boat Speedy cleared Monday morning for Montreal, with Capt. Charles Martin as pilot.

The tug Florence and two barges arrived at the Forwarders company, limited, elevator, to load grain for Montreal.

The steamer Omaha arrived from Chicago, with 50,000 bushels of corn, and is discharging at Richardsons' elevator.

The steamer Plummer passed down on Sunday; the steamer Wahcondah passed up, and the steamer Dundee will pass down tonight.

The steamer Rosemount is still in the shipbuilding dry-dock. Several of her plates have been removed, and it will be several days before she will be able to leave.

M.T. Co.'s elevator: tug Emerson from Montreal, four light barges; tug Bartlett cleared for Toronto, with the steamer Kingston, and will return light from Toronto.

Swift & Co.'s wharf: steamer Rapids King had 300 passengers yesterday for Montreal; steamer North King down and up yesterday; steamers Dundurn and City of Hamilton down yesterday; Bickerdike up yesterday; Pellatt down yesterday; A.E. McKinstry up yesterday; Rideau King cleared for Ottawa this morning; schooner Cornelia clears today to load coal at Sodus for the Calvin company; schooner Keewatin with coal from Oswego.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
19 Sep 1910
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 19 Sep 1910