The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Oct 1910

Full Text



Steamer New York Went Down Off Thunder Bay.

Detroit, Oct. 3rd - The steamer New York, up bound with coal for Owen Sound, Ont., sprang a leak in a heavy sea Saturday night, and foundered shortly before midnight fifteen miles south of Thunder Bay light, in Lake Huron. Her crew took to the yawl boats when they became convinced they could not save the vessel, and were picked up near the scene of the wreck by the Pittsburg Steamship company's steamer Mataafa, after they had been buffeted about in the heavy seas for about an hour.

The New York, which was a wooden boat, began to leak about twenty miles below Thunder Bay light. The pumps were unable to keep her free, and the water soon reached the boiler room, putting out the fires. The crew embarked in the yawl boats in a strong northwest gale, and got away from the steamer in safety about five minutes before she went down in forty fathoms of water, and directly in the steamship course. Unable to make headway in the rough sea, the crew drifted until about 12:30 o'clock Sunday morning, when they were picked up by the Mataafa, down-bound, with the barge Alexander Holley in tow. Most of the crew and the first mate, Frank Kenyon, are from Marine City, Mich.

The New York was owned by the New York Steamship company, of this city, and was sailed by Capt. M.W. Humphrey, of Detroit, who was one of her owners.

Steamer Ran Aground.

Morrisburg, Ont., Oct. 3rd - The steamer Senator Derbyshire, loaded with pulpwood, en route for Waddington, N.Y., ran aground opposite here this morning. The channel to Waddington is a very narrow one and has only been used this season, by the largest steamers (sic). Owing to the low water, and the Derbyshire being heavily loaded she grounded, but does not appear to be in any danger. From her position it would appear that she was a little bit out of the regular channel.

p.2 The steamer D.A. Gordon, from Fort William, passed on her way to Fort William.



The steamer Mapleton passed down on Saturday night.

The steamer Rosedale passed down on Monday morning.

The steamer Midland Queen passed up on Monday morning.

The steamer Sowards arrived from Oswego with coal for Sowards.

The steamer Glenella arrived from Montreal and is loading hay at Howe Island.

The sloop Laura D. arrived from Northport, with a cargo of wheat for Richardsons' elevator.

The sloop Maggie L. arrived from bay ports with a cargo of oats, for Richardsons' elevator.

The steamer Port Colborne is at Cereals, Limited, with 81,000 bushels of wheat from Fort William.

On the trip over to Cape Vincent, on Saturday afternoon, a large window sash, out of the pilot house, on the steamer America was blown out. This is evidence of how severe the gale was.

M.T. Co.'s elevator: tug Bronson from Montreal, three light barges; steamer Windsor from Montreal, light, cleared for Charlotte to load coal for Montreal; tug Hall from Montreal, light, cleared for Montreal with three grain barges.

Swift's wharf: Steamers Dundurn and City of Ottawa, down yesterday; steamer Rideau King from Portland, yesterday morning, delayed at Washburn on account of the high wind Saturday; the steamer Aletha did not leave for bay points on account of the high wind until Sunday morning; steamer Aletha down and up today.



Steamer Phoenix And Barge In Trouble.

The steamer Phoenix and the barge Sherman, both coal-laden, on their way from Charlotte to Kingston, had a rough time of it on the lake, in the heavy gale of Saturday afternoon, and at first, it was believed that the Sherman had gone down, but later reports stated that she was safe.

The gale, which swept Lake Ontario, on Saturday, was one of the worst experienced this season.

The barge Sherman was under the charge of Capt. M. Hourigan. During the gale, the tow line broke, the barge went adrift and the steamer finally ran ashore at Poplar Point shoal, above South Bay Point.

On Sunday the Calvin Wrecking company, of Garden Island, was notified, but unfortunately all its boats were in service. The company, however, chartered the outfit of the Donnelly Wrecking company, and in the afternoon the steamer Donnelly and a lighter left to aid the Phoenix.

The boats left Charlotte about noon and struck the westerly gale soon after two o'clock. The wind was high and later hauled around to the northwest.

The steamers City of Ottawa and Dundurn in port Sunday afternoon saw the Phoenix, but did not see anything of the Sherman.

The Phoenix and Sherman are owned by the George Hall Coal company, of Ogdensburg. The Phoenix was laden for that port with coal.

Capt. Fitzgerald, outside superintendent of the coal company came here at noon Sunday, and accompanied the wrecking expedition, consisting of the steamer Donnelly and schooner Julia B. Merrill.

Capt. Max Shaw, of the steamer Sowards, left Kingston Sunday morning, for Oswego, and when reaching the Main Ducks, he reports having seen the barge Sherman at anchor. This was very early in the morning, and it was the intention of the captain to tow the vessel to Kingston, when making his trip back to Kingston. When he came back that way, during Saturday night, the barge was not there, however, and it is believed that she was towed to Stony Point, or perhaps to Cape Vincent, by some other vessel.

The fact that she was anchored at the Main Ducks, put aside all thought of the barge having gone down, as on Sunday morning, when the barge was seen, there was no storm whatever, and she was not in trouble at all.

There are a number of Kingston men on the barge Sherman, and when the news spread around the city that she had gone down, there were many anxious inquiries made, in marine circles, about her.

The Sherman has been in port a great deal, this summer, the company having had the contract for supplying coal for the Kingston & Pembroke railway.

Later - The Calvin company has word that the barge Sherman was seen on Sunday under her own sail, making for Stoney Island passage at the lower end of the lake. The wreckers found the steamer Phoenix sunk about six miles above South Bay Point. After the tow line parted she sprang a leak and in making port went down. The crew is safe. The wreckers owing to the gale and seas could not get alongside, but had to run for shelter. Today they expected to get to her, pump her out and raise her, but if this was found impossible she would be abandoned to the underwriters.

The storm, on Saturday afternoon, tied up every vessel on the lake, and also on the river. The wind blew a regular hurricane all afternoon, and it was not safe for anything to venture out. All along the line, between Montreal and Kingston, there were boats in at the various ports, seeking shelter.

p.8 Pith of the News - The steamer W.S. Mack is ashore on the north side of Poverty Island, Green Bay. Three of her tanks are punctured and she will have to lighter.

Two Port Rowan, Ont., young men have found a piece of wreckage five feet by sixteen inches east of the old site of the life-saving station with the name of the ill-fated Marquette, lost last fall, on it.

Leaking from several seams the steambarge Barth, of the Hines Lumber Co. of Chicago, on its way from Buffalo to Chicago, came into Muskegon, Mich., late Sunday, at full speed, and as it neared the dock sunk beneath the water. The crew of seventeen was saved.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
3 Oct 1910
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 3 Oct 1910