The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 21 Nov 1910

Full Text



There was a coat of ice over Anglin's Bay this morning, and it is reported that the ice is quite thick on the Rideau. The steambarge Mary Louise is loading a general cargo for Rideau canal ports, and it is doubtful if the vessel will be able to clear. However, Capt. Tuttle will get through if there is any way possible for him to do so. The tug Edmond and the barge Columbia was to have made another trip down the Rideau, but on account of the weather, will be laid up.

The schooner Major Ferry arrived from Oswego, with coal for Sowards.

The schooner Julia B. Merrill arrived from Oswego, with a cargo of coal for local dealers.

M.T. Co.'s elevator: steamer Rosemount passed down with the barge Quebec, coal-laden, for Montreal; tug Bartlett arrived from Port Colborne, with the barge Ungava, loaded with 71,000 bushels of wheat, cleared light for Dickinson's Landing, and will clear for Kingston with three light barges; tug Thomson from Montreal, three light barges, cleared for Montreal with three grain barges; steamer Kinmount arrived and discharged 73,000 bushels of wheat, and cleared light for Fort William to load wheat for Georgian Bay; steamer Kinmount cleared with the barge Ungava in tow, for the Welland canal; tug Hall, from Montreal, three light barges, cleared for Montreal with three grain barges; tug Bartlett due tonight from Montreal with three light barges; steamer Windsor cleared from Oswego, coal laden, for Montreal; tug Emerson from Oswego, with the barge Hamilton, coal-laden, for Montreal; steamer Stormount due on Tuesday noon to discharge 74,000 bushels of wheat for Montreal; clears light for Fort William to load grain for Georgian Bay.

Sunday was the finest day in Oswego in about two weeks, and as a result, the coal schooners, which have been held up there, owing to the rough weather, were able to get away. There were some Kingston vessels in Oswego, which have been held up there for almost two weeks.

Local marine men received word, on Sunday morning, that the weather was fine there, and that the boats were getting out as fast as they could.

The steamer Glengarry was in port on Saturday, on her way to Cobourg, with a cargo of pig iron.

With the steamer Britannic laid up for the winter and the steamer Belleville in the dry-dock the traffic in freight at Swift's wharf is very slack at the present time. All summer this wharf has been crowded to its capacity with freight, but now there is very little doing. The barge boats such as the City of Montreal and City of Hamilton do not stop unless they have freight to discharge and often when going up they take the American channel. Things will soon be wound up at this wharf for the winter.

A quantity of tobacco which formed part of the cargo of the steamer Belleville is spread out to dry at Swift's wharf. The tobacco was near the place where the boat was stove in and became soaked. Orders were received from the head office in Montreal, to spread it out to dry and accordingly it was done.



Leonidas Murphy, aged twenty-three, living at Seeley's Bay, and employed as a deck hand on the steambarge Mary Louise, was drowned in Anglin's Bay, about 2:30 o'clock on Monday morning. The drowning was purely accidental, and Coroner Dr. Sands, who investigated the case, decided than an inquest was unnecessary.

The bay was coated over with ice, this morning, and Murphy secured a pole to break the ice around the vessel. While so doing, he fell into the water on his back and disappeared. J. Coon, owner of the boat, and Alexander Brown, engineer, noticed him fall, and with the use of a pike pole, endeavored to locate the body, but without success. About twenty minutes later the body came up near the stern of the boat, but life was then extinct. Dr. Sands was immediately summoned, but after learning the details of the sad accident, decided that an inquest was unnecessary, and the remains were taken in charge by John McAuley, undertaker, and removed to his undertaking parlors.

Deceased was unmarried, and up till two weeks ago, had been employed on the steam-barge Westport. He was a good man on a vessel. His mates were given quite a severe shock at his sudden death. He had many friends in marine circles, and all were very sorry to hear of his intimely end. He is survived by one brother, Wellington Murphy, of Washburn; two married sisters, named Lapointe, living at Philipsville, and one at home, Miss Lily Maud Murphy. The remains were taken to Seeley's Bay this afternoon.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
21 Nov 1910
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 21 Nov 1910