The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 18 Apr 1911

Full Text



Dunkirk, N.Y., April 18th - Capt. E.G. Tuttle, of Dunkirk, owner of the fishing tug Eagle, who was placed under arrest last week by Canadian revenue officers, and his boat, valued at $1,500, and $200 worth of nets were confiscated when Tuttle was caught fishing on the Canadian side of the line on Lake Erie, opposite Lorrain, Ohio, was fined $650 in Windsor, Ont. and his boat and nets returned to him. The Canadians were thus lenient because of the circumstances of the Canadian cutter taking fire while chasing the American boat, and Capt. Tuttle, instead of escaping at that time, as he easily could, while his boat was in custody, stayed by and helped put out the fire. Capt. Tuttle has gone to Windsor for his boat and nets.

p.4 drawing of Buena Vista.



Captain Reid, of the Baker & Reid Wrecking Co., is now at the steamer Sharples, on Galloup Islands, to wreck the stranded vessel. It is believed among Oswego mariners that the boat will not be damaged very much about the hull as the heavy coating of ice which formed during the winter months protected it from the severity of the waves. The upper portion of the boat is a mass of ruins, according to reports, her cabins being washed away, as was her smoke stack.

The officers of the steamer St. Lawrence have been announced as follows: Master, Capt. D.H. Kendal; first mate, G.H. Brown; second mate, D.E. Grandee; quartermasters, John Cree and Richard Grandee; chief engineer, Barney Farrell. Work fitting out the steamer will begin May 1st and she will start on her regular trips on June 1st.

A new and direct rail and water route between central New York and Toronto is proposed by the Beebe syndicate. A new company called the Buffalo, Rockport and Rochester Transit company has been formed and has purchased a large steel steamer that is to run between Olcott, on the American shore, and Toronto. This is an independent company but traffic arrangements have been made with it by the Beebe syndicate which will connect with the boat via the Buffalo, Lockport and Rochester railway and the Buffalo, Rochester and Eastern.

These are busy days in marine circles now. In the course of a few days everything will be running full swing.

Yesterday a large number of mariners reached the city and went on their vessels, which have been laid up all winter. Quite a number have left for outside places to go on their boats. There is always a great deal of work to be done just at the last moment, as it were. Provisions have to be ordered, and orders have to be given for different material and supplies needed on the trip, which can not be secured until just before the time scheduled for the used to go.

The waterfront certainly presents a very busy scene. All is activity and all because the marine season has opened. All day yesterday groups of mariners were to be seen on the street corners renewing acquaintances, for it must be remembered that a great many of them do not see one another from the time their vessels are laid up in the fall, until the opening up of navigation again in the spring.

The government quarantine boat Polana, being built at the Kingston dry dock, will be finished on May 7th. The engine is at the station now and will be installed as soon as possible. Everything is going along fine, and, barring accidents, the boat will be finished on scheduled time.

The Montreal Transportation company's tug Emerson is in the Kingston dry dock for repairs.

The government boat Speedy is in the Kingston dry dock having two new screws put in and other repairs made.

The government boat Scout is at the Kingston dry dock charging the gas buoys and painting them. When they are charged and painted she will drop them in their respective places.

The steamer City of Hamilton, at the Kingston dry dock slip, is undergoing extensive repairs. A large number of men are engaged working on her.

William Harris, late of the Congress hotel, will be steward on the steamer City of Ottawa this season.

That veteran icebreaker, the steamer Pierrepont, succeeded in getting through the ice, on Monday afternoon, and reached Cape Vincent. As a result, the route to Cape Vincent has been officially opened.

The Pierrepont stayed over night in the Cape, arriving back in Kingston at noon today, and was then able to leave again for the Cape on scheduled time. The Pierrepont will keep on this route until the new steamer, the Newsboy, is brought down from Duluth. The repairs have not yet been completed on the latter vessel.

Owing to an ice jam at Port Colborne, the Welland Canal has been of no service, as yet.

The steamer Sowards cleared for Oswego, to load coal for Sowards.

Capt. John Fleming, Newboro, is here to commence his duties with the Rideau Lakes Navigation company for the season.

The members of the crew of the steamer City of Montreal have arrived in the city.

The schooner Ford River will clear on her first trip across the lake in the course of a day or so.

Capt. Lefevre has returned to the city after spending a few days at his home in Valleyfield.

The crews of several more of the M.T. Co.'s barges have arrived in the city.

W. M. McNeil, Jr., has left for Windsor, where he will represent the Inland Navigation company.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
18 Apr 1911
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 18 Apr 1911