The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 1 Apr 1912

Full Text

p.2 Serious For the Vessels - if soft coal shortage happens.

p.3 Purchased A Vessel - Capt. Grant Horne bought str. Stephen C. Hall at Alpena; Capt. Flanders is fitting out steambarge Ida E., which he recently purchased, laid up at Collins Bay; Capt. Malone and crew are fitting out Toiler.

p.8 minister of railways and canals has decided on Ten Mile Creek route for enlarged Welland Canal.

April 2, 1912

p.6 To Fit Out Vessels -

p.8 Kingston Yacht Club - election of new commodore; want to have Cedar Island made into public park; Arrangements for George's Cup.

April 3, 1912

p.1 The Marine Merger Is To Be Fought - Hamilton interests have bought wooden steamers Massachusetts and Rhodes from Gilchrist Co. of Cleveland, as nucleus of new Canadian lake fleet.

p.4 Cold Weather Drawback - painting cannot be done on vessels.



Pilot Sued For Running Steambarge Ashore.

The running of the steambarge Mary Louise on a stump in Battersea bay last August, and her final beaching received an extended "airing" in the county court, before Judge Madden, Tuesday afternoon, from two to six o'clock. The owner of the steambarge, Jehoida Coon, of Morton, brought action against Frank Anglin, Brewer's Mills, to recover $800 damages. J.L. Whiting, K.C., appeared for the plaintiff, and Francis King represented the defendant. His honor reserved his decision.

There were numorous witnesses examined by the counsels. They were Jehoida Coon, Capt. R.J. Bryan, William Martin, Ernest Perrin, Robert Martin, R.J. Foley, Henry Bishop, the engineer, William Ormsby, F. Anglin, the defendant, William Anglin, his brother, John Todd and Anderson Knapp.

The evidence of the first eight witnesses went to show that late last July, or early in August, while the Mary Louise was at Selby & Youlden's yard, in the city, being repaired, the defendant stepped on the deck and asked the plaintiff to take a load of cheese box material from the former's mill, at Brewer's Mills, and Portland, to Anglin's factory at Battersea. Mr. Coon was not anxious to take the job and said it was impossible, on account of his captain not knowing the channel up through Dog Lake to Battersea. However, Mr. Anglin apparently got over the difficulty and said he would either supply a pilot for the trip or go and direct the Louise himself.

William Martin, Ernest Perrin and Robert Perrin, who were working close by, on the boat, at the time, heard the bargain being made.

The plaintiff was not on the barge at the time of the accident and arrived at Battersea Bay a few days after the wreck, to find the crew and Mr. Anglin working at her with a lighter, taking the cargo out. All efforts to raise the boat were of no avail and the plaintiff engaged the Donnelly Wrecking company of this city to raise her. With the yacht and barge of Mr. Pyke, of Wolfe Island, they finally accomplished the task, but were unable to keep the Louise afloat. Then Mr. Coon had to beach her, where she now lies, in the ice with her bow out of water. A statement of the cost of the Louise with repairs was shown. The expense of raising her reached $780 with another $100 before it could be (looked ?) over for salvage. Mr. Coon valued the boat, last summer, at about $800 to $900.

Capt. Bryan, on examination, told of the trip from Brewer's Mills to Battersea Bay. He was rather surprised when Mr. Anglin told him he was going to direct the course. He testified that everything went well until they got into the bay. They passed between two picketed stumps, and Mr. Anglin, ordering him to go cautiously, he rang for the engineer to reduce to the lowest speed. He did so, and Mr. Anglin told the captain to hug a large picketed stump ahead. The captain put the helm hard down, but the Louise did not respond at once, on account of the slowness of the speed. He rang three bells for more speed, but before they had gone far the Louise went on the fatal submerged stump.

The defendant, in evidence, said in the bargain made at Kingston, he had said he would pilot the Louise as far as the Battersea bay, and then they could "creep in." No arrangement was made regarding the directing into the bay and witness had no recollection of saying he would undertake it. When the Louise entered the bay, the witness felt a little anxious and asked the captain if he would lower a boat, and they would go ahead, and investigate. He had given the captain full caution about the stumps before they came to the first two, which were picketed, and witness said, if the captain had followed the course he directed the Louise would have cleared the submerged stump. Witness said he did not feel sufficient efforts were made to keep the water out of the hole of the Louise, shortly after she sunk.

To Mr. Whiting, witness said he had run on the same stump a few seasons ago. Witness and his brother, William Anglin, testified as to the rotten condition of the planking of the Mary Louise, and said she was one of the worst "barks" on the canal. Another boat would have gone on the stump and slipped off again.

In summing up, Mr. Whiting held it had been established in the evidence of the plaintiff and corroborated by three other witnesses that the defendant had agreed to direct the course of the boat all the trip or secure a pilot. And he was late in giving the captain instructions when they went into the bay.

Mr. King contended it was a divided responsibility when they came to the bay, though some of the evidence was to the contrary; that if the captain had hugged the stump as directed by the defendant, or rounded in a little, he would have cleared the submerged stump. Because there was not enough power on for steerageway, after they passed the first two stumps, that was not the fault of Mr. Anglin. The master was responsible for this. The judge said he would reserve his decision.

April 4, 1912

p.1 Work on Welland Canal - no start until autumn.

p.2 Captains Cut Off - Capt. W.D. Sughrue of Scout and Capt. M. Barry of the Reserve dismissed ?

p.4 "Thousand Islander" - will be name of new vessel for Thousand Island Steamboat Co.

To Command The Keywest - Capt. James Martin, was with M.T. Co. last year as pilot on St. Lawrence.

Oil Burning Freighter - Indian, for Montreal-Fort William route, on Merchants' Mutual Line.

p.6 Engineer Injured - Joseph Culverthorne fell in hold of str. Port Colborne.

p.9 The Rideau Canal - Many Were The Difficulties Met In Construction -

April 5, 1912

not published - Easter

April 6, 1912

p.1 Cutting Miles of Ice - tug James Whalen at Port Arthur.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
1 Apr 1912
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 1 Apr 1912