The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 30 Jun 1913


Description
Full Text

p.1

WORK IS TO PROCEED ON WELLAND SHIP CANAL.

Likely To Begin Within The Next Month.

St. Catharines, June 30th - Chief Engineer Weller, of the Welland ship canal, work on the lower section of which will begin in August, announces that the present old canal will be closed between Allanburg and Marlatt's bridge, near Thorold, for building a new weir at the head of Lock No. 25 of the present canal, to supply the above mentioned water. A dam will then be thrown across the old canal at Allanburg, and the old bed of the canal between the dam and Marlatt's bridge will be utilized as a dumping ground in which to place the material removed from above water in widening the deep cut.

If it is desired to continue navigation on the old canal, entrance may be had to it through Lock No. 25 of the present canal, when the ship canal is completed, by making a short cut through the bank separating the two waterways. The total length of the canal from lake to lake is twenty-five miles and the difference in level between the two lakes, 325 1/2 feet, is to be overcome by seven lift locks, each having a lift of 46 1/2 feet. The dimensions of the locks are to be 800 feet in length by 80 feet in width in the clear, and with 30 feet of water over the mitre sills at extreme lower stages in the lakes. The width of the canal at the bottom will be 200 feet, and for the present the canal reaches will be excavated to a depth of 25 feet only, but all stretches will be sunk to the 30 foot depth, so that the canal can be deepened at any future date by the simple process of dredging out the reaches.

A new western breakwater consisting of an immense rubble mound of stone from the excavation north of Port Colborne, and timbering in a timber and concrete headblock, located some 2,000 feet further out in the lake than the present breakwater, will be built to ensure quiet water in Port Colborne harbor during storms, which is not the case now, the present breakwater not being far enough out in the lake to deaden the swells.

The inner harbor at Port Colborne will be deepened to the proposed new depth, and the old locks and regulating weir now in the centre of the village will be deepened and widened on the west shore, and just below Humberstone a thorough cut will be made across the point now forming Ramey's Bend to materially straighten the canal. The material from this cut will be nearly all rock, and will be used to form the breakwater previously mentioned. A guard lock will be built in the rock cutting a short distance below Humberstone, and when this new cutting is ready for navigation a regulating weir will be built across the abandoned portion of the present canal, which will be used as a bypass for water to the canal.

The present aquaduct at Welland will be dredged out, also the bank between the canal and the river, which latter will be utilized between Welland and Port Robinson instead of the present canal, being somewhat straighter and entailing considerably less excavation. At Port Robinson a cut will be made through the present bank between the canal and the river, through which vessels will again enter the canal.

p.5

IN MARINE CIRCLES.

The steamer Majestic passed down on Sunday morning.

The steambarge Navajo arrived from Erie, with coal for the Kingston Hosiery company.

The steamer Iroquois passed down on Sunday.

The steambarge Sowards arrived at R. Crawford's wharf, with coal, from Oswego.

The schooner Maize cleared for Oswego.

The steambarge Westport arrived light from Cape Vincent, after discharging a cargo of lumber there. The Westport will undergo inspection here and will then go to Napanee.

M.T. Co.'s elevator: steamer Gordon, grain-laden from Fort William, lightered her cargo and cleared for Montreal; steamer Turret Chief, grain-laden from Fort William, is discharging; tug Emerson, from Montreal, with three light barges; steamer Advance from Montreal light, on her way to Port Colborne to load grain; tug Emerson cleared for Montreal with two grain-laden barges.

At Swift's wharf: steamer Dundurn called on her trip west; steamer Belleville passed down Sunday; steamers Caspian, Rochester and Toronto passed down and up on Sunday.

Had A Fine Trip.

The first Saturday excursion on the R. & O. boats was fairly well patronized, the steamer Thousand Islander making the trip. The afternoon was delightful and the sail amongst the islands extremely pleasant. At present the people are beginning to settle in their homes, and the hotels show signs of activity. The steamer went down the American channel and up the Canadian side, and the contrasts were very marked, the American islands being well settled, while the Canadian ones are in a state of nature and certainly look fine. The trip was made in a little more than five hours, home being reached shortly before eight o'clock. The Thousand Islander is a fine boat to travel on and is splendidly equipped for excursion purposes.

Forty-One Years Ago - the steamer Kingston burned off Grenadier Island - details from Brockville Recorder.

p.6 Lifted The Schooner - The Donnelly Wrecking and Salvage company succeeded in pumping out the schooner Winnie Wing, sunk in Napanee in a collision about two weeks ago. The hole was a very large one, about seven feet deep and twenty feet long. The Winnie Wing is now in Napanee where her cargo is being unloaded. It has not been decided where the Winnie Wing will be repaired.

p.8 The schooner Katie Eccles cleared Monday afternoon for Sodus.

HER FIRST TRIP.

The steamer Olcott, with Capt. Moore in command, arrived in Kingston at 2 p.m. on Monday, thus beginning a tri-weekly service between Oswego and Kingston. A fair sized passenger list was carried, among them being three first cousins of President Woodrow Wilson. They were Captain McMaster, of the U.S. army, of Oswego, Miss McMaster and Miss Woodrow, of Columbia, South Carolina. They were accompanied by F.B. Shepherd, president of the Oswego Chamber of Commerce, who showed them the sights in Kingston during the afternoon.

The Olcott is in charge of Capt. Moore, with Mr. Daniels as first officer and Claude McDowell as chief engineer. Nelson J. Hunt, treasurer of the company which owns the boat, is on board as managing director for the season.

Among the passengers was Lachlan Macleay, manager of the Development Bureau of the Oswego Chamber of Commerce, one of the city's "live wires" who believes that a splendid business connection can be built up between the two cities.

July 1, 1913

not published


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Publication:
30 Jun 1913
Local identifier:
KN.18205
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










British Whig (Kingston, ON), 30 Jun 1913