built 1853 by F. W. & B. B. Jones, at Buffalo, N. Y.
Length 335 feet; Beam 40 feet; Depth of hold 14 ft
One beam engine, by J. P. Morris & Co., of Philadelphia, 82 inch cylinder by 12 ft stroke; (Walking beam 12 feet wide by 24 feet long) Three boilers, each 50 feet long by 11 ft diameter
This steamboat, during her day, was one of those floating palaces of Lake Erie, which became so widely known and popular with travelers on account of their luxurious appointments and great speed. She was built for the Buffalo and Sandusky line, and ran with the steamer St. Lawrence.
The Mississippi went out of commission in 1859 and after lying idle at Detroit until 1863 was dismantled, the hull being remodeled into a dry dock, portions of the cabins and joiner work transferred to the steamboat Racine, and the engine taken to New York and placed in the new steamship Guiding Star.