GREYHOUND: formerly NORTHWEST
Built 1867, 16 Manitowoc, Wis.
Hull, of Wood, Built by Green Rand. Length of keel 236 feet; over all 248 feet, breadth of beam 32 feet 4 inches, over guards 54 feet, depth of hold 13 feet 7 inches.
Engine, Vertical Beam. Diameter of cylinder 60 inches, by 12 feet stroke.
Boilers, two, or iron.
Wheels, 34 feet in diameter.
Tonnage, 1109.19 Gross, 754.36 Net
This vessel was first called "Northwest," and was built for the Goodrich Transportation Company," to ply along the western shore of Lake Michigan. Her engine was taken from the lake steamboat PLANET, which was dismantled in 1866. The engine in question had had a remarkable history, having originally been constructed for the Lake Erie steamboat CANADA built in 1846. In 1851 it was taken from this boat and put in the CASPIAN, which was wrecked at Cleveland in 1852. The next year it was placed in the steamboat E. K. COLLINS and that boat being burned in the Detroit river in 1854, it was erected in the PLANET in 1855, and finally placed in the NORTHWEST.
The NORTHWEST had run for a short time only, when, by reason of the loss of the steamboat MORNING STAR, of the Detroit and Cleveland line, she was sold to take the place of that boat, in 1868. She plied on the Detroit and Cleveland route until 1875-6 when she was given an almost complete rebuild, and the old engine which was practically worn out, was removed and broken up, and the engine of the lake steamship DETROIT erected in its place. This engine was built in 1859, by the Shepard Iron Works, Buffalo, the size of the cylinder being 60 inches, by 12 feet stroke. When succeeded by larger and finer steamers on the Detroit & Cleveland Line the NORTHWEST was sold, altered and named GREYHOUND, and placed in the excursion business.