State of Ohio:
Formerly "City of Alpena" and "City of Cleveland"
Built 1880, at Wyandotte, Mich. by the Detroit Dry Dock Company
Hull, of iron. Length 225 feet, beam 32 feet, depth of hold 12 feet.
Engine, Vertical Beam, built by Dunham & Co., New York, 1847. Diameter of cylinder 50 inches, length of stroke 11 feet Nominal horse power 1800
Boilers, two, of iron, by Fletcher & Harrison, NY
Wheels, Feathering, "Morgan" type 23 feet in diameter by 9 feet in width
Tonnage Gross 1,221.98 Net 917.29
The City of Cleveland was built for the Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Company, and was one of the handsomest as well as the fastest steamboat on the Great Lakes, when she appeared. Her maximum speed was 19 miles per hour. Her engine was taken from the Lake Champlain steamer UNITED STATES, and the cabins came from the ADIRONDACK also of Lake Champlain. She was used on the route from Detroit to Hancock, on Lake Superior, for two seasons, and was afterwards placed on the line from Detroit to Alpena, having had her name changed to CITY OF ALPENA. In 1893 a new line was inaugurated between Cleveland and Buffalo, and, as the STATE OF OHIO, she ran on this route under the management of the Cleveland & Buffalo Transit Co.