The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Chronicle & Gazette (Kingston, ON), Dec. 2, 1835

Full Text

p.3 The Weather - ...A number of schooners met with some serious damage, on being forced from their moorings, and some of them driven 'like chaff before the wind;' the damage, however, was less than could reasonably be expected. Busy rumor is not idle, many valuable lives are said to be lost, but in the absence of correct information we refrain from mentioning names, believing the statements regarding the loss of life on the upper lake to be greatly exaggerated.

The Transit steamer, after buffeting the more than common gale, on her return trip from Niagara, and rounding the dangerous and narrow point at the entrance into the bay, was forced upon a sand bank where she had to remain until next day, notwithstanding the friendly aid afforded by The Traveller, which tugged for many hours in her endeavours to drag her off, but to no good effect. The St. George at length took her in tow, and ( ) enough, the Transit on feeling the friendly grip of a Brother, thought proper to glide off ( ) smooth, as if acquainted with one another during many another even more severe struggle. We are pleased at being able to state that the Transit did not receive any injury, which we the more wonder at, as the fog or darkness of that memorable night will long be remembered by us; it was in reality such a darkness as is spoken of in sacred history, which might be felt...... [Toronto Recorder]

A Contemplated Harbour at the Thirty Mile Creek - propose to petition the Legislature for charter to carry out work. [Niagara Reporter]

Death by Exposure to the Frost - 2 men leave Point Frederick in skiff to return to lower end of Long Island, caught in drift ice.

For the Chronicle and Gazette.

Mr. Editor;

Sir, - As many accounts have appeared in the different papers between this and Toronto respecting the barge Quebec, I deem it necessary to give a short but correct statement of the progress of that vessel from her sailing from hence, on the 5th November, to her landing on a rocky point, just above Everett's house:-

Such was the unfriendly interest excited by the weak and foolish, that not a man would venture to take charge of her across the Lake except a stuttering drunken Canadian who knew as much about bearings and distances as the goose quill that enables me to trace these lines, by his bad steering one of the fore shears, (not a very good one) gave way, this to my surprise after taking in the fore sail did not prevent her steering well, and in 20 hours she rounded Cobourg Pier, where, after some delay finding no spar could be obtained, a person named Hutchinson offered to take her on during the Gale of the 6th Nov. at 8 o'clock at night, dark and dreary with rain and storm, the Barge rode it nobly, until a change of wind in the morning obliged us to take shelter in Windsor Harbour, one of the best on the Lake for vessels of any draught acquainted with the Harbour; those not drawing 3 feet water, at any point, - the next night reached Toronto, delays caused by the most unprincipalled opposition detained her there until the 21st Nov. when at 8 o'clock she left the Pier and made the Ducks in 20 hours, 170 miles; passing over Salmon Point shoal amidst tremendous breakers which were laughed at by this seafaring elf; wind freshing and appearance of snow storm induced our bearing away for Oswego where she lay during the storm of 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th; on the 27th at 6 A.M. sailed from the Light House fair breeze moderate weather, and in 7 hours instead of being in Kingston found we were in the Upper Gap of the Bay of Quinte, it was a clear day and the best compass on the Lake on board, - in sailing down the Bay of Quinte, came in line with the Mail Stage on runners with a good road, the Barge left the stage behind in spite of all their efforts, like a swallow from a duck. On reaching the Lower Gap a heavy swell set in shore, and steering inside of the Brother Islands, the wind veered and it was found impossible to weather the points, by mismanagement she missed stays and drove in upon Everitt's point, where the swell soon made a complete breach over her and beat violently for 48 hours, to my surprise in getting out the cargo, found no water in her hold, except what had gone in through the companion and hatches, she is in part hove off and will I expect soon be in Kingston, and if the weather does not moderate must winter here.

The Quebec is not my property but is partly owned by a few respectable persons in Quebec; one of them now resident here.

To Mr. George Ives and his Brothers, I feel bound to state, that no men could behave with more spirit, industry, and disinterested conduct, in affording every assistance in their power, by their personal activity and intelligence, taking out one of the finest schooners on the Lake, (the Kingston) in this inclement season to jerk her off, which I feel assured will soon be effected.


Kingston, 30th November, 1835.

p.S. Capt. Baker, of the Sir James Kempt Steamer, has just succeeded in bringing the Quebec into port, having towed her off.

To the Press of Upper Canada I feel much indebted, for their friendly reports of the Progress of this experimental voyage, which has established the valuable fact that a vessel may be so constructed as to navigate all the waters of the St. Lawrence and its tributary streams, in their present state. J.G.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Dec. 2, 1835
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Chronicle & Gazette (Kingston, ON), Dec. 2, 1835