p.2 Great Storm - The wind that had been blowing easterly for the last two days suddenly veered round to the South, last night about twelve o'clock, and shortly afterwards increased to a gale, accompanied by heavy showers of rain, and continued to blow South, South West, till daylight this morning. The water in the harbour rose about four feet, and swept from their moorings about thirty or forty small vessels, including wood boats, pleasure sail boats, jolly boats and skiffs, which lie beached on Point Frederick, Belle's Island, etc. The schooner Lady Bagot came into port during the storm, dragged her anchors and now lies ashore at the East end of Cataraqui Bridge; she is loaded with flour but will suffer little damage. The wind has unroofed portions of houses and sheds, levelled fences, uprooted and broken many large trees, destroyed a great deal of window glass, etc., etc. in the Town, and we have no doubt the devastation has been much more extensive in the country, and we fear that many a brave seaman has last night found a watery grave. There are five or six large forest trees uprooted at Stewart's Point which have stood Ontario's wildest blasts for ages, but last night yielded their hold of the rocky bed which has so long upheld them.
The Mail Packet City of Toronto arrived here this forenoon at 11 o'clock, having nobly weathered the gale, which burst upon her with all its fury in the open Lake. These magnificent steamers brave all weathers, and the City's triumph over last night's storm, with a heavy deck load on board, must be proof sufficient to the most fastidious of their strength and seaworthiness. The Sovereign left this Port about ten o'clock last night, and in all probability Capt. Sutherland would put into South Bay. The Chief Justice Robinson started about 5 P.M. The City of Toronto passed several Schooners dismasted, sails torn, etc., but none wholly disabled.
The River Mail Steamer Highlander, due yesterday afternoon, has not yet arrived.
1 o'clock P.M. - The Chief Justice Robinson has just returned to port.
Welland Canal Office,
St. Catharines, Oct. 9th, 1844.
In order to enable the Contractors to complete all unfinished works on the Welland Canal, as well as the Grand River Towing Path, with a view of opening the canal on the first of April, 1845, for vessels of enlarged dimensions, the water will be drawn off on the 1st day of December next. George Prescott, Paym.