The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Argus (Kingston, ON), April 6, 1847

Full Text



H.S. Jones & Co.

In our hurried glance, last week, at the Forwarding Establishments, we merely noticed the firm of H.S. Jones, stating that we did not know the extent of their preparations for the spring business, as none of the establishment had yet arrived from Brockville. Since that time we have received more information regarding them, and have learned that this firm, besides continuing to occupy their old warehouses next the Barracks, have leased Mr. Scobell's Wharf, with all the stores thereon. These premises with the extensive stores at Port Sidney, 3 miles below Kingston, will contain at least 50,000 bbls, - and will place this Firm in a position to do a much more extensive business than formerly. Their steamer, of from 300 to 400 tons, now building at Brockville, will be ready about the 1st of October, and will carry at least 3,000 bbls. of Flour from Hamilton to Quebec, if necessary, provided the Canals are finished in season.

The Establishment of Calvin, Cook & Co.,

situate on Garden Island, two miles from Kingston and immediately opposite it, next claimed our attention. This Firm have also an establishment at Hamilton - their head quarters for making timber. The establishment at Garden Island employs from 150 to 200 men, rafting - from the beginning of April to the latter end of October - exclusive of Ship-Carpenters, (40); Blacksmiths, (4); and Sailors, (72). The expenditure on the Island for lumber and labor, during the Winter months, is from £2,500 to £3,000, per month - and in Summer from £6,000 to £8,000. The expense of the Hamilton establishment is still greater than this.

The following statement, according to the Quebec Supervisor's account, gives the quantity forwarded last season. This season a still greater quantity will be sent down:

Pieces Feet

Oak 22,028 1,158,249

White Pine 2,276 160,729

Red Pine 4 127

Rock Elm 1,128 37,722

White Ash 69 3,353

Black Walnut 211 12,031

Basswood 6 476

Birch 6 169

Butternut 1 41

Masts 260

M. C. Qr. Stvs.

Standard Staves 851 9 2 28

White Oak, W. India 394 0 0 7

Red Oak 5 8 2 11

Barrel 6 7 1 3

The proceeds of sales at Quebec, of the above will amount to between £140,000 and £150,000.

This Firm employs seven vessels of their own - from 150 to 380 tons each. Last season the number of arrivals at the Island was between 200 and 300.

In addition to Messrs. Calvin, Cook & Co.'s establishment there are many others in Canada West which send Lumber by the St. Lawrence, but as these are not within the bounds of our walk we leave them to be described by others.

These facts we wish to bring under the notice of Mr. Buller, and for this purpose will send him a copy of our very interesting paper, so that when he again addresses the British House of Commons on Canadian subjects, he will not show so much ignorance of our Lumber Trade, as he did on a previous occasion, when he stated that this trade was of little importance to Canada, and solely confined to the valley of the Ottawa.

Ferguson's Wharf.

Leaving Garden Island we returned to Kingston, and landed at the wharf of Mr. Miles Ferguson, at "Mississagua Point", immediately to the west of Mr. John H. Greer's wharf. Mr. Ferguson, who is from the Bay of Quinte, has leased this wharf from Mr. Counter, and intends entering into the Wharfage and Commission business. He is erecting a three-story store, 50 feet by 40, principally for his own business; and a one storey store 150 feet by 36 for James A. Walker & Co. The wharf itself is 600 feet in length by 62 in breadth, and projects into the Bay about 200 feet beyond Greer's wharf. We here met Mr. Counter himself, who informed us that, as soon as he could scrape together money enough, he will erect on this wharf a row of stone buildings, 185 by 50 feet, finished in the style of "Hardy's Buildings," in Ontario street, and intended for offices.

John Ives.

At Ferguson's Wharf we saw two steamers being fitted out; and on enquiring as to their owner found that they belong to Mr. John Ives, who will this season enter into the Forwarding business, between Kingston and Montreal - principally we understand to tow transient Boats - an assistance the want of which has been much felt in former seasons.

P.F. McQuaig & Co.

"Poking along" the wharves we next came to the Forwarding House of Messrs. P.F. McQuaig & Co. This establishment have one of the most eligible stations in the Harbour, for the shipment of property, immediately to the west of the Marine Railway; being the first approached from the Lake and Bay of Quinte -as also the starting point of Barges leaving for Montreal, in the absence of a north west wind or being towed.

This firm are constantly extending their premises, having completed, last Fall, a new additional Store House, for the reception of wheat, flour, etc., and are now surrounding their premises with sheds, for the protection of property from damage by the sun or rain. They have moreover, added, during the past winter to their former stock, more steam power and two new barges of the largest class; and will thus be prepared on the opening of the navigation to forward from 7000 to 8000 barrels of flour, or other property in proportion, per week.

Freights on the St. Lawrence - [Montreal Economist]



The Undersigned have entered into Co-Partnership for the purpose of carrying on the FORWARDING BUSINESS on the River St. Lawrence, Lakes Ontario, Erie, etc., under the name and style of COLCLEUGH & GREER, at Montreal; JOHN H. GREER & Co., at Kingston, and WM. COLCLEUGH & Co., at Hamilton.



Hamilton, March 25th, 1846.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
April 6, 1847
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Argus (Kingston, ON), April 6, 1847