The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Argus (Kingston, ON), Oct. 4, 1850

Full Text


To the Editor of the Argus.

Sir: - Will you please to inform the Secretary and Stewards of the Regatta, that I have attended here to-day, for the purpose of rowing the match for the championship. This match I have been led to believe would come off to-day, because my opponent of the Rifles ran against me, off his course several times. I gave in a written protest on the day of the Regatta, and a notice appeared in the Whig of the 1st inst., that the championship was to be rowed for to-day.

It may be as well the public should know how the Kingston Regatta is now being managed.

I am, Sir,

Your obt. servant,


Kingston, Oct. 3rd, 1850

p.3 The Niagara on Fire - On Saturday, about 11 o'clock, a fire originated on board the Niagara Steamer, shortly after leaving Rochester. When about twenty miles on this side of Rochester, and a mile and a half from shore, the engineer discovered smoke coming into his room, seeming to issue from an immense quantity of brooms and cotton bales, which were piled up between decks. By the exertion of the men, these were removed, but the fire was not there. They, however, commenced chopping away the casing of the boiler, and the flames came out so powerfully that they were obliged to run back. One of the passengers recommended the Captain to run the vessel ashore, which he immediately commenced to do, and got into about nine feet of water. Passengers and men were, however, exerting themselves to get the fire under, and with a very excellent fire engine belonging to the vessel they mounted the hurricane deck, where, with a constant supply of water from the engine tank, they succeeded in subduing the flames, which for the time seemed rather alarming. The captain again started off, keeping close along shore, for two or three hours, until perfectly satisfied that the fire was quenched. The whole of the wood-work which encloses the boiler about an inch, was charred deep. The steamer arrived at the wharf on Saturday evening about half past eight o'clock, being nearly four hours beyond her usual time; but part of this delay was caused by a strong head wind, which, though it acted as an opposing force, tended very much to fan the flame which had well nigh gained the mastery. The following letter connected with the affair, was sent us yesterday afternoon:-

To the Editor of the Globe.

Sir, - We, the undersigned passengers, in justice to Captain Kilby, officers and crew of the Niagara, take great pleasure in expressing our highest praise of the coolness, promptitude, and success with which they met the dangers of a fire which threatened to destroy the boat, and jeopardize the lives of those on board during the trip. We also deem it to be our duty to exonerate from all blame the proprietors and managers of the Niagara, being convinced that the fire was caused by the carelessness of some person, in letting fire fall from a pipe, or in lighting a match, or in some other way, as we see no connection by which fire could have communicated from any of the regular furnaces, smoke, pipe or stove about the boat.

Signed: Samuel Dean, of Troy, New York.

Thaddeus Patrick, Toronto.

B. Hagaman, Bronte, C.W.

Benjamin Field, Albion, N.Y.

M.D. Hall, Sagua la Grande, Cuba.

William Barber, Esquesing, C.W.

Joseph Barber, Esquesing, C.W.

George Dawson, of England.

28th September, 1850. [Globe]

Lachine Canal - This Canal, we learn, will be open for business today. The water can only be let in as far as the second entrance lock, thus preventing large vessels going in or out. The old lock will pass small vessels. It is said that the repairs of the breach will occupy at least nine days. It seems there has been some difficulty in pumping the water out: another attempt, however, will be made today.

The steamers England, Pioneer, Lord Stanley, and several barges are at the upper lock, awaiting the letting in of the water. [Montreal Herald]

A day or two since, we noticed the arrival at this port, of the schooner Shickeluna, Capt. Kehoe, from Halifax. As some few particulars of her trip may be interesting to our readers, we will (sic) we have been able to gather. The Shickeluna was built for the lake trade, 202 tons burthen, by measurement 8 feet draught of water, but with a slip keel, draws 32 feet. On her outward trip she carried 2200 brls. flour and arrived at Halifax in 21 days after sailing from St. Catherines. The market was tolerably well supplied when she arrived at her destination, but nevertheless, a sale of the cargo was effected immediately. On her return, she loaded with fish, molasses, and sugar, and arrived here in 25 days sailing from Halifax. Part of her cargo she unloaded at Quebec, and replaced it with goods for the Upper Canada trade, at Montreal; the remaining part of the sugar and molasses she sold immediately on arrival, on advantageous terms. [Toronto Patriot]

The Boston Advertiser of Friday last records, as a "novelty in navigation," the arrival at that port on the day previous of the British schooner Scotia Captain Abbey, from River Sydenham, Lake Huron via the Welland Canal and River St. Lawrence, with a full cargo of black walnut timber.

(missing issues until Nov. 5th)

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 4, 1850
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Argus (Kingston, ON), Oct. 4, 1850