Do You Remember
By Jay Knox
Although it is still wintry, as far as appearances indicate; there is just enough of the tang in the air to remind us all that Spring isn't far away.
And with it will come the opening of navigation and while that may not mean so much as it did in the years ago,...
Coal Trestle at North Fair Haven Being Torn Down
Former Was The Scene of Much Commercial Activity in Harbor
Fair Haven, March 15. - Work has commenced by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company to raze the coal trestle at North Fair Haven. The trestle was built by the this ...
J. T. WING had a long and interesting history, eventually ending up set in gravel at Belle Isle, Mi, Detroit River, in 1948, where she was used as a museum ship. She was burned in 1956 to make way for the Dossin Great Lakes Museum (unbelievably, I'd say). As a boy, I visited her a few times in the...
"Southern Central's Little 'Jimmies' Took Vast Quantity of Coal to Lake," Cortland Democrat (Cortland, NY), Aug. 13, 1937 Southern Central's Little 'Jimmies'
Took Vast Quantity of Coal to Lake
Rails have been removed from the Lehigh Valley 's coal trestle at North Fair haven , and the trestle has been sold to Whitman & Robinson of Weedsport , who are tearing it down. They have a saw mill on the job ...
Captain George L. Donovan
Captain George L. Donovan, 60, well-known vessel master, died at the family home, 132 East Seneca street, at 11:30 o'clock Friday morning following several months of ill health.
Captain Donovan was born in Oswego the son of the late Captain Timothy ...
The motor fish tug "Isabell H.," owned by John Mollhagen, was sunk at its dock near the Highway bridge early Sunday morning.
The fish tug was crushed by the tanker "Comet," which was turning in the basin after unloading a cargo of gasoline.
Witnesses said the "Comet" was turning near the ...
For Breakfast an 1812-er in the Camera
By C.H.J. Snider
Schooner Days no. CCXXC
Some of the pictures in the Parsons' store at Oswego are photographs- Oswego harbor in storm and calm, freshet and frost, bristling with masts or filled with funnels; yachts, schooners, captains, crews, coal ...
Schooner Days CCXCII
by C. H. J. Snider
The Blood Boat and M.J. Cummings
Here is the three-masted Oswego schooner M.J. Cummings, with her tug also named M.J. Cummings, "M.J." was like the Motts, and Finneys, and Lyonses, an Oswego shipowner with a fleet of over a dozen schooners sailing out...
AND ONLY THE DOG CAME HOME
Schooner Days no. CCXCIII
C. H. J. Snider
Drawn 60 years ago in crayon is a picture of Parson's ship chandlery store at Oswego of the schooner Gilbert Molison, straight of stem and tall of spar, white, two masted, and typical of the American vessel of her time. She...
Snider, C. H. J., Last One Built on the Lakes, "Last One Built on the Lakes," Toronto Telegram (Toronto, ON), 24 Apr 1937 Schooner Days, CCLXXXIX (289)
In Oswego N.Y., it is a civic boast that all streets lead to the water. Those running east and west reach the Oswego River, those running north and south Lake Ontario. When we rolled into Oswego that bright March morning we were talking about a week ago, our first ...
..., in 1906.
532.0 x 56.0 x 21.0.
* Renamed C. RUSSELL HUBBARD - U. S. -
W. W. HOLLOWAY - U. S. - 1937
Herman Runge List
...; * Renamed (c) C.S. WIILLIAMS - US - 1937
Sold to "Delegation of the "French Committee of National Liberation (french Colonial Supply Mission," in February, l944. Ultimate disposition unknown.
GLENVEGAN; renamed WIARTON in 1921, became FLEETWOOD in 1937
. Official Canadian No. 150231. Built West Superior in 1903 as COCOA. Ex U. S. until 1921. 241 x 41 x 16 and 1,676 gross tons.
...' x 48' x 28'
* Renamed (b) COLLIER -US -1920
(c) JOHN McCARTNEY KENNEDY -US -1922 Converted to se1f-un1oader in 1926.
(d) R.E. MOODY -US -1937
Scrapped at Duluth, Minn., in 1958...
1937 ex HARVEY D. GOULDER,
... gross. Built Camden, N.J., 1917. 40.4 x 13.3 x 4.5.
* Renamed ELAINE - U. S. - 1922
ALBA - U. S. - 1937
Herman Runge List
... BLUE - U. S. - 1925
MOONLIGHT - U. S. - 1937
Herman Runge List
...., in 1919.
251.0 x 43.6 x 26.2.
* Renamed ANNIE MURPHY - U. S. -
FAIRISLE - U. S. - 1932
HEREISLE - U. S. 1937
MARQUETTE & BESSEMER NO.1.* Built Nov. 14, 1903 Collier Propeller -Steel
U. S. No. 200537 1732 gt -998 nt 241' x 43' x 22.4'
* Renamed (b) CARROLTON - US -1937
Reduced to a barge in 1958. Scrapped...
...THOMAS MAYTHAM.* Built Oct. 8, 1892 Bulk propeller - Steel
U. S. No. 145631. 2329 gt - 1972 nt. 286' x 41.3' x 21.3'
* Renamed [b] DOLOMITE 2 - U.S. - 1937