Maritime History of the Great Lakes

Scanner, v. 23, no. 7 (April 1991), p. 14

The following text may have been generated by Optical Character Recognition, with varying degrees of accuracy. Reader beware!

Mystery Ship - cont'd. 14. barge. When Adamson's Elevator collapsed, SLIGO was burled under some 1, 000 tons of stone, timbers and galvanized iron. She was forced to the bottom of the shallow slip, but when the debris was removed, she was found not to be seriously damaged and soon was returned to service. She lasted until 1918, when she foundered in Humber Bay. In our "mystery photo", there is an interesting little steamer on the west side of the slip. She looks much like JUNO, and has an A-frame and boom. Her name on the fantail looked to us at first like "JUAC", which we interpreted as JUNO but with the paint chipped. But the more we looked at the photo, the more we thought that the steamer could not be JUNO; she has no masts or bridgewings, there is a small texas behind the pilothouse, the lifeboat davits and aft cabin skylight are different, there is a closed rail around the stern, and she has equipment on deck that makes her look suspiciously like a sandsucker. But if not JUNO, what could she be? After much puzzling, we have come to think that she is IDA E., which was built in 1887 by William Ryan at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, (U. S .100409), 132. 0 x 2 8. 5 x 9. 0, 181. 92 Gross and 146. 85 Net. She had a high-pressure, n on condensing engine, 18" x 20", built 1877 by Sheriff's Mfg. Co., Milwaukee, and a 7' x 17' firebox boiler by P. Riter of Buffalo, 1877. Her owner in 1891 and 1894 was listed as Wm. Wente, of Manistee, Michigan, and in 1899 and 1900 as Gus Kitzinger, also of Manistee. In 1902 and 1905, Charles Lonsby, of Mount Clemens, Michigan, was shown as owner of IDA E. By 1910, IDA E. had been registered at Sarnia (C. 126222). She was converted to a sandsucker at the Peter Arnot shipyard at Toronto in 1912. By 1914, she was registered at Montreal by the River Sand Company Ltd., Montreal, and she was cut down to a barge in 1917. By 1923, she had passed to the Consolidated Oka Sand & Gravel Company Ltd., Montreal, and she was still listed in the Dominion register as late as 1940. So what we thought might be interesting as a result. Our loaning us this historic view. JUNO isn't, but the photo is none the less thanks to Lorne Joyce for his courtesy in * * * * * ADDITIONAL MARINE NEWS -- The wreck of CAPTAIN K. was raised on Easter Sunday, March 31st, and was placed aboard a barge which was towed into Port Maitland by the McKeil tug STORMONT. The terribly mashed hull of the fishtug contained the bodies of her three missing crewmen. Autopsies determined that her captain died by drowning, while the other two men were killed by injuries sustained in the collision which sank the tug. -- Hamilton Harbour was opened on the Easter Weekend by, of all ships, AMELIA DESGAGNES, the former SOODOC (II), which has been a virtual stranger in the lakes since her 1990 sale by Paterson to Desgagnes. -- Purvis Marine reportedly has failed in its efforts to negotiate union approval for crew reductions on YANKCANUCK, which makes it a virtual certainty that the motorship will be consigned to permanent operation as a barge. * * * * * A DINNER MEETING REMINDER Please remember that Saturday, May 11th, is our Annual Dinner Meeting. If you have not yet reserved, please do so as soon as possible, as space is limited. Please see the front page for details, and write our Purser. * * * * *

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit
Privacy Policy