Maritime History of the Great Lakes

Scanner, v. 34, no. 3 (December 2001), p. 8

The following text may have been generated by Optical Character Recognition, with varying degrees of accuracy. Reader beware!

Ship of the Month - cont'd. 8. BRITANNIA as latterly rebuilt. Aft, the promenade deck was entirely shaded by the boat (hurricane) deck above, and featured a large cabin fitted with passenger benches and with a clerestory to admit light from above. All of the enclosed cabin spaces were decked with United States Rubber tile. The large and round-fronted pilothouse was located atop the hurricane deck formed by the roof of the smoking room and the aft cabin clerestory, and flying bridgewings were provided. The pilothouse had a prominent sunvisor over the large windows, a feature which LA SALLE lacked. The smokestack, of ample proportions but with very little rake, was positioned close abaft the pilothouse, and a flock of ventilator cowls rose around it. A single steam whistle was carried high up on the forward face of the stack, whilst a 'scape pipe rose up its after face. There were no masts, but only a very tall jackstaff at the bow and another right aft. CADILLAC, which could carry 70 autos and 2, 500 passengers per trip, was painted in the Detroit and Windsor Ferry Company's usual colours. Her hull and main deck bulwarks were workaday black, whilst the cabins were white. The black smokestack carried a prominent shield, outlined in white, which contained the letters 'D F W Co' in its four quadrants. The jackstaffs and ventilator cowls all were black. Where did CADILLAC get her name? For both LA SALLE and CADILLAC, the company turned to historical figures important to the beginnings of the Detroit area. The Sieur de la Salle was a French explorer of the 1600s, while An­ toine de la Mothe Cadillac was the French founder of Fort Pontchartrain, lo­ cated on the present site of Detroit, which he commanded from 1701 until he removed to Louisiana in 1710. CADILLAC proved to be a most welcome addition to the Detroit and Windsor Ferry Company fleet, allowing for much improved service on the crossing. But some very severe competition to the ferry service was in the offing and CADILLAC would have only an 11-year career on the service for which she was PASSENGER AND AUTOMOBILE FERRY CADILLAC. U PPER L E F T --PROMENADE DECK. UPPER RIGHT--CAPACITY LOAD OF AUTO­ MOBILES. LOWER LEFT--INTERIOR OF PILOT HOUSE. LOWER RIGHT--PASSENGER CABIN AFT

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit
Privacy Policy